May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Themauserkid, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,168
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking on advise on how to clean my recently acquired Sumners leather gun case. It looks like there is tape adhesive on it as well (see attached pics). Any advise/guidance you can provide, would be most welcomed. BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lexol leather cleaner and Lexol conditioner, LOTS of conditioner.

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, several applications of a decent conditioner will be helpful.

Please don't over clean it though. That case has a lovely patina built up over many years. I believe it would be a mistake to over restore it.

Very unusual blocking on the name line.

Tim

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Were those stitched corners originally on the case, you think? They look to have been added at a later date.

Bill, would you be so kind as to put up some more pics after you clean and condition it? I would really like to see what can be done with simple techniques at home.

Thanks, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It appears the leather corners and the straps are newer. I definitely want to preserve the patina. I would like to remove the tape adhesive that has stuck on the case, (it seems the case was kept closed for some time by tape being wrapped around it). The Greek key blocking design on the name line is a very cool element, especially since I am Greek myself. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used a cleaner called 'Decasol'. May not be available Stateside but it is just a cleaner for leather car seats and can be obtained at car dealers. I should think there will be an identical stuff available where you are. I paint it on with a paint brush and leave for about 20 minutes and then wipe away with a clean cloth. It brings out the dirt without destroying the patina. I then; after it is thoroughly dry, use a saddle polish. Seems to work for me and feeds the leather without destroying the look. Lagopus.....

BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Lagopus - Merry Christmas. BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

Photographs can be deceptive but looking at the leather I feel that it started out from the Tannery as Aniline Leather rather than the coated variety. Because it looks like the adhesive tape has removed some of the leather top coat that has been applied over the years to keep the leather in good condition hence the fine leather patina you have on the case.
The one place that requires some attention is the case hinge line it is cracked the reason is not as a lot of people think the constant opening and closing but moisture leaving the leather causing it to harden and then eventually cracking due to the movement.
Aniline Leather is tanned using vegetable tanning usually Oak bark and dyed with vegetable dyes and having no to surface coating. But the one important thing it undergoes is treating with oil to seal in the residual moisture to keep it supple but over time moisture and oil is lost. In times past the Oil used on the hides was a mixture of “Neatsfoot Oil” and Fish oil usually “Cod Liver Oil” the ideal would be to use all Neatsfoot Oil fish oil was added to reduce the cost.
So treat the hinge line with Neatsfoot oil clean the case with saddle soap then finish with saddle polish all items can be obtained at a Equestrian Tack suppliers (sorry I don’t know the name for them on your side of the pond) take your time and don’t over clean it.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found the the Leatherique treatments are excellent for old, dirty, perished leather. They have a huge following in the vintage car restoration groups.
http://www.leatheriquecanada.com
They are quite good with giving project advice, as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, thanks for the link to Leatherique!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.