May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, Lloyd3, ClapperZapper, 3 invisible), 602 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,481
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One trigger is somewhere around 8 lbs pull and the other is probably near 12 lbs. pull. From the schematic I have seen they appear to have a different system from what I am used to, not that I would attempt trigger work myself anyway.
Can someone point me to a gunsmith who could handle this adjustment?

So many guns, so little time!
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Either JJ Perodeau or Geoffroy Gournet and maybe Kirk Merrington.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Geoffrey says it is just a hobby for him and he does not want to practice gunsmithing, just engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The three names that GLS suggest would top my list. It might be worth dropping Kirby Hoyt a at VintageDoubles.com a line. I'm not sure who does gunsmithing for him is but he's a fan of the MF Ideal and has a couple for sale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JJ made some new screws for my 314, and Kirk fit a second set of barrels to the same gun. IIRC, it was Kirk's first encounter with an Ideal. He called me some months later with an Ideal he was helping a customer sell, and we walked through things to look for besides the typical condition issues, to help him establish a value for the gun. All this to say that while Kirk's workmanship in fitting the second set of barrels was top drawer, I have no doubt JJ has far more experience with Ideals.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all. GLS made a call and hooked me up with someone experienced with the Ideal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

Could you share your thoughts on owning and shooting the MF Ideal? I've been somewhat drawn to those guns since becoming aware of them and have often considered trying to find a good example. Compared to an A&D boxlock, parts and service must be a significant challenge. How do they handle? Would you consider one as your main upland game gun?

Thanks,

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I would be delighted to pass on my experience. I call it a poor man's Dickson round action. The sears are on the trigger plate, but not the whole "action", so Kirk called it a quasi round action. Anyone who has worked on it is impressed (including two ACGG members) with the ingenuity, simplicity, and strength: double rifles of fairly stout caliber are built on it with no modification.

It is my only upland gun, and I now have two in 16 ga. I have shot everything except turkeys with it, and will try that shortly. I also shoot targets with it: not in competition, but for fun out at the property as we have two Lincoln throwers.

I love the roundbody in my hand, as my main upland hunting trip of the year is to the Sandhills of Nebraska, which entails a LOT of walking/hiking. That lack of sharp action edges in my hand is really easy to get used to, and appreciated whenever and wherever I carry the gun. Both guns come in at 5lbs14oz, and handle like Ferraris. Great balance between the hands, svelte (I love the lines of the top of the action unbroken by a top lever), points like a kid blaming his brother, and has the retractable sling that comes in VERY handy.

We that love them are fortunate that there is a lot of snooty sneering at things French- means a better selection and less competition. They are still rather scarce this side of the pond, and to get what I wanted I had to bring both of mine over from France. I am looking for my third 16, the highest grade they offered, and have a set of barrels in the white that won't work for the No. 5 I bought them for, but will work on the 314. So I may some day perhaps have the only Ideal in the world with three sets of barrels. They are choked quite tight from the factory, but they pattern beautifully with my 3/4 oz reloads thus the second set of barrels.

As to parts, it is one of the best aspects of owning Ideals- most parts are still readily available- just have to go to the French auction site and convince the seller to let you have it (they can be reluctant to ship international). I've purchased two sets of 16 ga barrels in the white, and there is currently even a 16 ga action in the white up for sale.
I could go on, but I think you get the point. PM me your number if you wish, and I'll answer anything else I can.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was chasing a lower grade 20 ga. that RIA had on the last sale. I went to the pre-view, it was a nice gun. Trigger pulls, you could hang the gun by the triggers and the strikers wouldn't trip. The safety still seems a bit of an after thought. I didn't even get to bid, the opening computer bid , was above my high bid. The high estimate was $1200, and it went for over $2000.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will second Mike's comments regarding the Ideal. Simple, strong and the benefit of 100 years of continuous production and with probably over 100,000 made (roughly 75K from 1888 until 1939, post WWII production numbers are unknown) there is a large body of experience and knowledge available to those who will look.

I've shot both of Mike's 16 gauge Ideal and have a 12 gauge myself. Very nice handling guns and incredibly ergonomic. The only drawback I have found is the safety. I treat mine like a pigeon gun.

Like Mike, I took a chance on a second set of barrels for my gun but unfortunately the second set of barrels is too small to fit properly. I was doubly disappointed as they were made the same year as my original barrels, 1919.

I'm on the lookout for a nice 16 but Mike's trying to corner the market. LOL

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.