April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ChiefAmungum, eeb, bushveld, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 608 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

New book out. Firstly I will state that I have no personal financial interest in this book although it does contain a number of illustrations of guns, cartridges and accessories from my personal collection. Midland Gun was a large concern making guns under its own name and for the gun trade but information is hard to come by due to the attentions of Herr Hitler and his gang of thugs reducing the company records to ashes. The Author; a friend of mine, now owns the company name and is trying to re-build some of the history. The book is a beginning of this aim. Cost in hardback is 19.99p. and will interest any Midland owners. He is creating a website at www.midlandgun.com where owners can register their guns to help in the rebuild of this history. Book can be obtained via Amazon or via the author Guy N Smith at guy@midlandgun.com 133 pages and well illustrated. A bit of a plug but not an expensive book and the first 50 are First Edition and will no doubt become collectable in time. If you don't like the book you can always blame me. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another great book to add to my collection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was recently looking at pictures of a Midland boxlock. Would anyone care to comment on the quality of Midland doubles? Thanks in advance.

lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They vary from the plain and functional to the high end comparable with any other. This is mine; a 12 bore boxlock with single trigger and is the one on the front cover of the above book. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun Lagopus!!!

But one question, along with W.& C. Scott & Sons, AA Brown & Son and others including this firm, how can a firm that is considered one of the major suppliers to the British gun trade and its associated tangled web of anonymous action filers and whatnot, be described in a small book? Isn't Midland one of the top sources for other, more well known firms?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know midland, or at least the midland name ended up being owned by parker hale. I had a midland mauser actioned rifle, it was a cheaper version of the PH rifles, but was excellent.

lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's just the problem faced 'treblig' the records were lost and most of what we can find comes from old catalogues and anecdotes from a few past employees. I knew of an example previously owned by a famous author on shooting and fishing which I photographed and is included in the book. It is hoped that the book will drag out more information and when the website is up and running people can put details and information on about their Midland guns with the hope of bringing out a further expanded volume. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
That's just the problem faced 'treblig' the records were lost and most of what we can find comes from old catalogues and anecdotes from a few past employees. I knew of an example previously owned by a famous author on shooting and fishing which I photographed and is included in the book. It is hoped that the book will drag out more information and when the website is up and running people can put details and information on about their Midland guns with the hope of bringing out a further expanded volume. Lagopus.....

The problem I have understanding the English gun trade is, how can just a few firms build so many guns to such a high standard of fit and finish inside and out? Its impossible. Unless we are looking at an enormous anonymous trade that is supply these 'bed rock' firms with basic finished parts. No?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on your definition of "High Quality". There are English built guns which are not particularly High Grade but most are pretty well built. I have a J P Clabrough 12ga which is considered one of the lower grade guns but it is very well built & extremely serviceable. It does have a bit of game scene engraving, but is their entry level model. An I Hollis muzzle loader is a very plain gun but again well built. I also have a W&C Scott pinfire which I would refer to as a High Quality gun though it is actually not as "Sturdy" as the others. Breech loaders were still somewhat in their infancy when it was built.
Greener infers that there were a good many Shoddily built guns built in England, primarily for export to their colonies, of which we were not one of by this point in time so few of those show up in this country.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

For quality we just can't look at the level of engraving or the premium grade of wood. We have to look at the fit and finish both outside and inside of the product. Polishing parts to a mirror finish takes time.

Have you ever seen an English built gun that didn't have their internal parts finished to that standard?

What I'm getting at is, people simply say that this gun or that gun was actually built by W & C Scott and Son or Midland Gun Company then furnished to the retailer, but aren't we saying that about to many guns? They could not have built that many guns to that standard of finish unless of course they employed all of Birmingham.

Did they?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.