April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (Chad Linder, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, 4 invisible), 462 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,098
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#460610 10/29/16 10:06 PM
mel5141 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, Ready or Not, it happened, on the Calendar at least.

Today is the designated Texas Quail Season Opening.....
Don't recall a Warmer , Non Fall ever...... 89*F today and it must have pushed 95*F+ in South Texas.

It has been so warm I have not even had one exercise session with my Bird Dogs yet.

This a BIG State and a one size fits all opening really does not work.

That said, I am on a Quail lease for the first time in 13 years, even though I have a record Quail population here on my Home Ranch.,

I took the spot on this 20,000 + ac. lease because I know the place and area, and it is less than an Hour away from my Home.

The place probably has a RECORD number of Both Blue and Bobwhites on the property. Even higher than last seasons unbelievable numbers.

I went over to drive the property (sans dogs , first time in years for that, but the SNAKE problem is all TOO real in this climate)

I have a young Air Force Major I'm very fond of (Cindy's Oldest) that has a rare break from deployments as an F 16 Squadron Leader, coming to the Ranch next week to open the Deer season and try the quail on for Three days.

I won't be able to provide traditional Bobwhite shooting over dogs but we will employ the West Texas run and gun shooting for Bobs and Blues on the lease property.

I opened the season over there today while scouting it out, and sighted my first covey five minutes after driving onto the ranch at 8:20 am and stayed in Birds continually on the roads finishing a 15 Bird limit at 9:15. 8 Bobs, and 7 Blues....

What a BIRD Population....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not hunt around Amarillo, too hot!!
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

So glad to hear that you have them again in great numbers. How rare for you to have two seasons like that back to back! Please keep us posted throughout the season. At least we can enjoy it vicariously through your posts and pictures.

All my best, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
mel5141 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm up again, and off to the West to drive more of the leased country, scouting as much as Bird shooting, but with these bird numbers multiple contacts are pretty much a given.....

Pretty stout southwest wind (20+mph) out there now.
Ought to make em sporty enough to humble even pretty good shots.

Stan, I tell everyone interested enough to ask, that in my lifetime I never recall back to back Super seasons, and yesterday began my 57th Texas Quail season.

No doubt won't see it again in my lifetime, but intend to enjoy it to the maximum while it is here.

December should find me behind Dogs and in full stride , in the meantime I'll be a Quail Shooter, not a Bird Hunter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mel5141
December should find me behind Dogs and in full stride , in the meantime I'll be a Quail Shooter, not a Bird Hunter

Discretion being the better part of valor ................ especially when dogs and rattlers are involved.

I'm happy for you, man.

All the best, sRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are a fortunate man Georgia has none to speak of except on the plantations. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a great opener in the eastern Panhandle. Temperature was somewhat over 90! We lucked out with a high overcast and light breeze till about 1 pm so with very frequent rest and watering stops for men and dogs we did ok. Lots of birds. And healthy. No idea of numbers yet due to heat and cover.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul, you live in quail heaven. A kick'em up and shoot wild birds without dogs to a limit is amazing. I respect a man who doesn't treat his dogs like expendable livestock. I'm sure your dogs do, too. wink . I know of two men who lost dogs to gators in their sight. Fluke occurences. Dogs get killed here during the winter as well by snakes. I avoid hunting in balmy conditions around here. Snakes can be out year round in these parts and hogs can be a nuisance as well. Gil

mel5141 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind comments, and insights on other parts of the Country.

I have hunted as a guest, of friends/owners I know, on three of the stellar Wild Bird Plantations in the Albany, GA. region. I have had contact ,but no close calls, with Eastern Diamondbacks down there on two occasions. They are a little more lethargic and laid back than our Western diamondbacks.

Out here we can generally count on reasonable periods of hibernation once our freezing weather sets in with some regularity.
I try to start exercising dogs on any cool to slightly cold mornings in November (40*F -30*F) and give it up after the sun comes up and and begins to warm the hillsides.
At those temps , if a dog encounters a rattler , the snake is too stiff and lethargic to be a menace.

February finds the opposite, warm afternoons and south facing slopes invite the reptiles to sun near den openings , ready to seek cover when night falls. I know this ranch well enough to steer away from trouble spots , or confine my late season outings to Mornings only.

I have lived out here most all of my life and I really don't worry about snakes on a personal level , I have killed hundreds in the course of ranch life, but a dog focused on Bird scent, or boldly pursuing a wing tipped bird is susceptible to a life threatening strike , no matter how familiar he or she is at avoiding snakes.

I liken rattlesnakes to Highway Patrolmen, I don't mind them, as long as I know where they are!

By the way, the morning turned out nice, wind subsided shortly after daybreak , and the birds were out feeding widely.

I managed another limit driving the roads, 9 Blues and 6 Bobs, taken between 8:15 and 10:00 am. it was 77*F when I finished.

Joe , I'm glad you got Mike to chauffeur you around , and put you in good position for the easiest shots on every rise.
Man you do Know a GOOD thing when you find it , don't you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

We ran five labs along with two of my Brittanys. Edit: and a setter and an English Pointer.

Had a few productive points but lots of shooting and wild flushing birds.

My shooting student, Joe Wood, put on considerable weight during the off season and so he busted the drop down table on one of the Polaris Rangers. He sat on the table first and, almost instantaneously, the ground next. I put him to fetching birds with the labs in hopes of dropping him down a couple of pounds. About three more months of that and he will be back where he was in February. If he does get back to that February weight he will almost be down to "merely chubby."

Our group saw no rattlesnakes. But about half of us, including Joe and me, had on snake gators.

I got in Thursday night from a month in Montana. Quite a change in weather.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 10/30/16 08:15 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.