April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, David Williamson, Sun Dog, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 492 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#459108 10/13/16 03:09 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What did the American Trapshooting Association (ATA) do during the first 19 years of its existence, 1900 to 1918? The ATA web site says they were founded in 1900. The big shoots were still being run by the Interstate Association and the trapshooting rules were still being promulgated by the Interstate Association well into the teens.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure their website is correct, at least not with the nomenclature. From about 1900, trapshooting was under the control of the manufacturers, the Interstate Manufacturers Trapshooting Association. Under a slightly different name, it was probably in action somewhat before. The Interstate Association (an abbreviation of the previous organization name with perhaps a different purpose), published an average book from 1913 to 1917. American Trapshooting Association took over in 1918. By 1923 or earlier, the recording organization was the Amateur Trapshooing Association and the Sportsmen's Review.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I_5GfGqfidbrfhpwzMvsccjDxjCd39M6nERp99wVEBQ/preview

"History of Trap Shooting Organizations" (mostly - I tried to confirm the dates he listed from the Sporting Life Archives) by Ed Muderlak

The first "International Clay Pigeon Tournament" (or inanimate target tournament) was run by Geo. Ligowsky's and J. E. Blume's National Shooting Association in Chicago in 1884; the second International Tournament was in New Orleans in 1885. Ligowsky tried to sell stock in his association, but was unsuccessful. Ligowsky's NSA was formed to promote his clay targets.

C. W. Dimick of United States Cartridge Co. and other manufacturers' reps (including Winchester and UMC) founded the American Shooting Association Feb. 11 1889, and Ligowsky's group gave way to the power. S.A. “Tuck” Tucker, Parker's sales agent and Capt. A. W. duBray (then a sergeant in the U. S. army) were consulting board members of the newly formed ASA, and “Tuck” wrote the handicap rules. (Dimick was President and L.C. Smith was a Director.)
Live birds were still the popular targets with slight but growing interest in clays.

The ASA dissolved in 1892 and, in turn, the Interstate Manufacturers and Dealers Assn., “Interstate Assn.” took over organized trap shooting. The Interstate Association’s purpose was “for the encouragement of trap shooting, in giving tournaments to foster a sport that is deservedly popular to bring together experts, semi-experts and novices, to safeguard the interests of both, and to show how a large trap-shooting event should be run.” It quickly organized the first Grand American Handicap at Live Birds, under Revised Hurlingham rules, for spring 1893. Twenty-one shooters paid $25 to compete. In 1894, first place was awarded $500 and guns were limited to 12 gauge and 8 pounds. The last GAH at Live Birds was in 1902 at Kansas City with about 450 contestants.

The short lived American Trap Shooters League was organized in 1895.
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_25_NO_03/SL2503014.pdf

In 1919 the Interstate Assn. board met in New York, and reorganized as the American Trapshooting Assn. In 1923, it became the Amateur Trapshooting Association, “The ATA."

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for clearing this up Drew. The ATA web site timeline leaves much to be desired.

I have a Trap Shooting Rules book put out by the American Shooting Association, which says organized February 11, 1889, and these rules are revised January 7th, 1890.

During my research of the Money family I found this --

The New York Times for January 24, 1893, reported on the meeting held at Taylor’s Hotel in Jersey City on the 23rd, where The Manufacturers and Dealers’ Inter-State Shooting Association was formed. Noel Money was one of the attendees appointed to the Board of Directors, and also the handicapping committee.

This all fits with your timeline.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Drew, has Election Day passed?

What happened to "Down One" until then? I've been patiently waiting to get an answer to my question on your accusations of Proof Texting Scripture and mocking God. Good to see that there is internet access in those poor remote mountainous regions of Guatemala.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow big surprise here princess. Just couldn't help yourself to attack Drew again. What a big girl you are!

Hey, since your waiting around for an answer, how about you answer my question form the "Day starter" thread you slithered away from?

Just in case you forgot:

I'd like to know if the ol' gal (that means you princess) still has the courage of her convictions? But which convictions? The christian/family values or the vote for Trump values? Since Trump literally thinks he's welcome to grab em all by the crotch the two can't co-exist.

So what's it going to be princess? You gonna tell me I'm scum for our spats while concurrently supporting Trump? Something tells me you think your special and don't have to be accountable at all.

Last edited by nca225; 10/15/16 04:41 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Been home a few days Keith, but still a bit of a zombie. Thought my friend Researcher would appreciate the help.
Here's the trip report
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24739424

I previously posted this link regarding "judging"
https://sites.google.com/site/anotherdaysjourneybackhome/spiritual-discernment/who-am-i-to-judge
Two words, with different meanings, are most often used in the N.T. for ‘to judge’: Anakrino “to investigate or examine in order to make a discernful decision (krisis)” and Katakrino “to condemn.”
We are commanded to be discernful, but warned about condemning, which is for God alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Judge not, least Ye be Judged yourself"!! Words of friggin' wisdom indeed!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 10/15/16 05:10 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A biblical view by responsible Americans of anti-constitutional "liberals".
Jim

Romans 16:17-18 ESV

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't feed the trolls...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.