May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Borderbill, ksauers1, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,810
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just brilliant work. I really like the Boss engraving, the layout, the accuracy and the portrayal of Nelson at Trafalgar being shot on the deck of HMS Victory and not in the arms of Hardy. An original work I think. At least I haven't seen that particular view before.

It is truly unbelievable what you can do with metal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's not the HMS Victory. She wasn't there at the Battle of the Nile. That's Nelson being wounded on the deck of the HMS Vanguard, a 74 gunner or a third rate ship of the line. I was confused also by that British flag but that's the flag of the 74 gunner (HMS Bellerophon) buried under that smoke from the broadside of the French 120 gunner L'Orient. Its just amazing the detail of that engraving that we can argue like this over the finer points of that battle. Just amazing. smile

The French believed that they were anchored so close to the shoal the English couldn't sail around them but Nelson just said, "Wrong again" and had his captains sail right around them. A very important victory as it trapped Napoleon's army in Egypt, which subsequently led to the destruction of that army.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, we owe a lot to 'the Nelson touch'. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Incredible military talent throughout the ranks developed by hard intensive training and led by an admiralty that was very forgiving to subordinate decisions whether right or wrong. Today many nations have copied and adopted this philosophy from the British admiralty for their military.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Read the Aubrey-Maturin novels (20) of Patrick O'Brian for an apparently very accurate look at the Royal Navy of Nelson's time. Great reads. Once I picked up the first, I couldn't stop until I had digested all 20.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

C.S. Forester also. With the detail he provides in his books it seemed like he served on one of those ships.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.