April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,029 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38663 05/07/07 09:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I looked at an old Lefever 10 Ga. this weekend in a small antique shop. It was in very nice shape and the price tag had me reaching for my wallet until I turned the thing over and realized that the Damascus barrels must have separated from the rib at the breach and someone had attempted to fix it and failed horribly. There must have been a half pound of lead stuck to the top of the barrels from the breach to about a foot out. Anyway, the rest of the gun was so nice it has sort of been nagging at me. Could anyone tell me what vintage it was? The serial number was 14XXX. It appeared to be of lower grade but in very nice shape except for the barrel issues. How’s the supply of parts for these old girls? Thanks, Jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gramp;
If not built out of sequence this gun should date to ca 1891±. This is a sort of transitional period for Lefever guns. Their 1889 catalog describes a gun having cocking rods & a side pivot top lever. Their 1892 catalog describes their "New" design, patented 1890, having two cocking hooks (one in the frame & one in bbl lug) & a conventional center pivot top lever. The locking bolt on the side pivot guns enters rib ext notch from the rear, while the bolt on the center pivot lever enters notch from the side. There are I know guns in existance having the "2-Hook" cocking but retaining the side pivot lever. All the cocking rod guns I am aware of had either the earlier thumb push or side pivot lever, but would not say for certain one does not exist with the later center pivot lever. It is also noted in the 1892 catalog the statement is made that ""We now braze "Both" the top and bottom lugs"". This leads me to conclude this was not always the case. In the event these bbls are not joined solidly at the breech by brazing you could be looking at a total refitting, more or less from scratch, considering the problems you mention. I would examine the breech very carefully for indication of a brazed joint.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack,

If you get a chance, take another look. Look for any evidence of damage to the barrels or the ribs. If you can buy it with an approval period, so much the better. You will end up having to get it repaired. Parts for a 10ga Lefever are few and far between.

Miller,

Nice catch. The other thing that catalog blurb basically says is that they were buying the tubes and not completed sets. This would make sense, because the joined barrels had a higher tariff rate than just the tubes. By this point the Belgians were replacing hand brazed barrels using brass with oven brazing using tin solder. I can't say whether the Lefever shop had adopted the then new oven method or were still doing the task by hand.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Miller. I just wish I had taken more time to look at it. The stock, receiver, and forend looked perfect which is what caught my attention. When I saw the solder I just handed it back. It did have a spectacular damascus pattern. If it was a graded gun I might have another look but it's more than an hour away so I guess I will let it go. I have too many jobs waiting now. Appreciate the information. Jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

This 10 bore Lefever was sold at a Swedish auction yesterday. Did I miss out on a bargain?

Shot gun, American, sbs hammerless, Lefever Arms Co., cal. 10, serial number: 187860, barrel length 81 cm (31.8 inches), ca. 1/1+1/1 choke, damascus barrels, top lever, blackened action with sidelocks, cocking indicators, double triggers, stock with pistolgrip and plastic but cap, traces of rust in barrels, blackened damascus barrels, spots on action, scratches on stock.
Sold for $70.

Sidelock
Sidelock

70$ American.............? Yes.......you missed out!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh my. $70? Are you trying to make us all feel bad? RCC

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They wanted $190 for the one I saw with the barrel issues. Sounds like I need to get reaquainted with my Swedish relatives. Jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

The serial number has an extra digit, but the gun looks pretty nice for $70. By the way, Granddad's pigeon gun, an E Grade #10,130 is a pivot lever cocking rod gun with a bunch of extra solder from a less than careful repair around the extension rib area and about three inches forward. I've only had the gun since about 1957, so I'm not sure if the repair is going to hold up. I've never heated the area to find out, only assume it is solder overflow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

10 bore is not allowed for hunting here in Sweden. Only collectors and foreigners would have been interested, hence the low price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.