March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (mel5141, Jimmy W, Mike Harrell, fallschirmjaeger, Argo44, 1 invisible), 853 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to be as prepared as possible for this, but the truth is I've never been checked by a warden, while duck hunting, in my life. And, only three times shooting doves. All three were gentlemen. But, if you get checked by a hard-case with a bad attitude it's gonna be tough convincing him you're carrying bismuth reloads.

This thread has gut-checked me about it. My luck's gonna run out eventually and I'm gonna be checked. I'm gonna take a picture of my reloading set-up with a 7# bottle of bismuth sitting there, and keep it on my cell phone. Might help a bit. And, I've been saving used Bismuth Cartridge Co. hulls, too. Might as well start using them for reloads.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

T3 has Rio Bismuth...Geo

Who's T3 ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sta you don't know how lucky you have been but most of that is because you have hunted in a state without ten game wardens for every county. When I lived in Maryland I got checked five to ten times every year. Both upland, waterfowl and deer season. It was like a second hunting buddy that went where ever you went. And it got worse as time went on. Some days you could get checked two or even three times by the same or different wardens.

I own a very, very small island in the Chesapeake bay that was a tremendous spot for canvas back, red head and blue bills when weather got fowl and the wind came out of one certain direction. Problem was that it was almost worth you life to hunt it. I bought a old Chris Craft cabin cruiser to use as a hunting base and spend the night on. After spending three days there, due to extremely bad weather I was coming back to my side of the bay one evening with three full limits. I had been checked on the island and to me the Wardens were insane just to venture out into the bay in their Boston Whaler.

About two miles from the docks I came across two Wardens in their Whaler which was broken down. I bet that they were coming to check me again as their plane had checked to see if I was still on the island that morning. The law of the bay demanded that I give them a tow. You just don't leave anyone behind in a broken down boat, night approaching, wind blowing them off shore and tide carrying them out as well. So I tossed them a line. But about 200 yards from the dock I realized that I had three days bag limit of ducks and was allowed to only have two days in possession. Funny little technical thing in the law at the time, might still be there for all I know. So I cut the engines and asked them if they intended to check me when we got to the docks. Yes was the response. What a A-hole I said. Saved you from possible death, certain hairy night or at least few hours adrift at dark. So after five minutes the older one decided he did not care what I had in my boat but did warn me that they would pass the word that if any game warden ever came across me again that they would check me with a fine toothed comb. Fair enough I thought. But it would have made me mad as heck if after rescuing them they had written me up for that minor technical violation. They kept their word in both respects and every time after that that I was checked they went over me and my equipment with no limit of attention. Never caught me with anything but they sure did try.

So count your blessings if you have not been checked. Worse to me is that the Wardens later took the proactive position that if duck hunting and there was bait within a mile of your spot, that in their opinion altered the ducks flight path you could be written up for it. Even if it was three blinds away from you and you had no knowledge of it. A completely unreasonable standard I thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

T3 has Rio Bismuth...Geo

Who's T3 ?

Sorry jOe, local store. 67galaxie will recognize it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan and I share the same great State and I don't know how he has hunted as much as he does and missed the joy of encounters with Georgia Game and Fish wardens. Sure, they are usually polite; maybe even overly, condescendingly, smarmily, and maybe a little disingenuously polite.

But don't ever forget that they are cops first and always. They don't trust you and presume you must be guilty of something or you wouldn't bother with hunting at all. Respect their authority, but don't make the mistake of thinking that they are just one of the guys.

On the other hand, maybe I just don't have an "honest face"???...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Game wardens are overly polite because they're encountering unknown armed people and are generally outnumbered 100:1. Plus, the are, for the most part, investigating misdemeanor cases.

But they will write you up if you're in violation. Which is what they get paid to do. Cases are few and far between for game wardens around here. "Not wearing blaze orange," "hunting/fishing w/o a license," etc. I've never seen an over-bearing game warden.

I'm very familiar with the GW culture. They're easy to avoid if you don't break the law. Not too much to ask, IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty well known in the Burke, Screven and Jenkins county areas, having farmed here all my life, and actually farm in three different counties. I know almost all the game wardens in these counties, and make it a point to speak and shoot the breeze when I have a chance. I think my reputation of not being too much of an outlaw helps. I have been sitting under one of my pivots in a blind shooting doves and had the warden drive by, see my blind, hit the brakes and stop. I stood up and waved to him and he waved back and drove on. This is a warden that has a reputation for being very hard-nosed, but he and I get along well.

One of the times I was checked was opening day afternoon of '03. We had just gotten back from shooting doves in Argentina on Thursday, and the season opened here on Saturday. I went to a local shoot in Screven Co. and drew a stand really close to the parking area. We had been shooting about an hour when the local warden drove into the parking area. He headed straight toward me. I sat right there and he walked up, asked if my 687 SP II was plugged, and we both laughed. He asked if I was alright. I asked what he meant. He said he meant .. did I have my license and all. I reached for my wallet pocket, realized I didn't even have my wallet with me, and told him so. He looked at me sternly and said that normally he takes a man's drivers license and keeps it until he provides him proof of having a hunting license, but said he couldn't even take that from me! He paused a moment, pointed his finger at me and told me that the next time he saw me I'd better have it on me. I promised I would, apologized, and that was that. No charges.

Moral ....... keep your friends close, ........ and your enemies closer. Just kidding, I do NOT consider them my enemies.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 09/10/16 11:24 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

i think game wardens are the most dishonorable profession on earth. i have gone into this before and won't rant this morning. i have had a few game warden friends, but they were the exception to the rule. i would rather be in a room full of anti-gun lawyers than game wardens.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why do you have this unreasonable prejudice against game wardens, Marc? "Most dishonorable profession on earth?" That's kinda hysterical, I think. Probably based on the fact you got a ticket at one time in your life.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over 30 years ago I was hunting a dove field with my 12 year-old stepson when Sidney Jones, a SC game warden came out in the field and asked for our licenses. I handed my license and he told us they had been watching the field for about two weeks and bait was found in the field less than 10 days prior. It was not evident when we shot. "Mr., this field was baited wthin the proscribed period. Makes no difference if you knew it or not". (I didn't) "Continue shooting until you both limit. Come out when you finish and pick up your licenses." We got the limit and he offered a $50 bond forteiture for me, nothing for the boy, or he'd write us up a Federal ticket to appear before the US magistrate. I paid the $50 and restrained from asking him "When can we do this again?" He let us keep the doves. Some of the hunters insisted on a Federal ticket which wasn't a smart choice as they discovered later.
Years earlier, Ronnie and I were harvesting oysters in public beds near Hilton Head. We came out with a bushel of fine oysters and were met by Dick, a SC warden.
"May I see your drivers's licenses? " "Sir, these beds are for residents of SC only. The fine is $25 each." We had about $5 between us. I rode back to Savannah, got the cash, returned and he then let Ronnie free who had been in the back of his car. This was over 40 years ago and Dick is a friend and we still laugh about the oysters even though the sumbitch took the oysters home and ate them. Ignorance of the law was no excuse, but he could have saved us some muddy work if he'd come out earler. wink

Gil

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.