May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Stanton Hillis, buckstix, 1 invisible), 688 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,609
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are- for the newer guys- who also like synthetic stocked shotguns and all the Mojo working decoys. For us old farts (I'm 75) walnut stocks on Model 12's well-worn but as reliable as a friend's handshake on a deal, and older "broken in stuff" w/o the new from Mack's PW retail outlet shine- suits us right down to the ground. The Zink instructional tapes are first class- actual field sounds from geese- can't do much better than that.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've had a few of those Model 12s and taken in the context of the American eye, a beautiful shotgun. One from 1916 and the other from 1935. Love the gun, especially its war record but, I just can't get use to the position of that safety. I never shot one very well and its seemed every time I missed with one I always thought to myself, if I only had my Ithaca.

On trap courses, 11, 12, my highest ever was a 14 whereas with my Ithaca, 20, 21, 24, and even a few 25s. That pretty much sums up my experiences with a Model 12. I sold both.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any cheap call you can blow properly is better than a pricey one you can't. Flute calls at cabelas work great also. Canada geese aren't fussy. Getting them to finish takes more work. I use a cheap call to get them interested. Then I use a very easy to blow grounds wooden Real Thang to entice them to come in for a landing.. but that's just me.

Ten gauge never required btw.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Boxlock
Boxlock

Sounds like you have a lot of factors going against you.

Are you tied to a particular field or location?

Being where they want to be is going to get you more birds than any call you can buy.

If you are locked in try to differentiate yourself from the rest of the public crowd. Not only with calling but decoy type and quantity.

Most of what I remember about PA is lots of hills and bluffs. If your call is putting out an echo switch to a Ken Martin/Glen Scobey type call nothing fancy just short clucks and mellow honks.

If you really want to throw them a curve get a tube call and spend the rest of the summer learning it.

From the sounds of your problem your dealing with stale geese that know the ropes.

Good Luck, Will

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Dal and Will!! I just bought a house up here in the Southern James Bay Zone south of Lake Erie and I have never hunter up here before. Just experiencing some troubles in this new area with geese that, as you nailed it, 'know the ropes.' smile

I need to improve my calling skills as they have diminished over time. Got lazy. I'll check out that Ken Martin/Glen Scobey type call and that tube call also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you have taught the geese all you have to teach them it is time to learn more yourself. Blow more, blow less, a lot less! Instead of a big spread make it only a 1/2 dozen birds, put your blind 20, 30 yards ahead, behind, to one side, try a flute call as someone has suggested although more difficult to make the sound, then the song, then the right song.

Be in the right field. Every year I hunt just outside Calgary city limits in december. I have to have a good field that they see just after passing all the houses. Still on a blue bird day they will pass over me and no matter what I do they will not come down. then I do all sorts of things. Less hunters, different calling, small decoy spread, radical decoy layout, motion in the spread, kites, flying decoys on a pole, get behind a hill so when they come over you surprise them, get on a hill and scream at them to they know you are there.

Biggest thing I can say to anyone doing anything. Watch and learn. If what you are doing doesn't work stop and do something else. How many times have I seen the wrong thing being done only to have it emphasized and repeated even more. How loud will a man yell at mute knowing he is deaf?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Tamid #451243 07/25/16 09:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
blow less, a lot less! Instead of a big spread make it only a 1/2 dozen birds.

I agree....I just blow enough to get there attention....small spread....If they come they come, if not then I don't have to try to make them into half way decent table fair....Never was one that had to get one much less limit out to be happy...not like I don't have food at home......but its nice to know I can get my own if I have too.....

gunut
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good goose hunter north of me, (farm fields for miles on end) would have his two kids watch the fields in the morning and afternoon while on the school bus, and report back.

Then he'd get permission and set up the next day. He had a trailer load of full bodied goose decoys. Any geese within sight of the spread, would usually turn for a look and come in. Four guys would limit out usually by 11am. A lot of mallards would also flock in, so double limits were not unusual.

Scouting for feeding and rousting fields is very important for good goose hunts. I prefer to take them on the water while duck hunting....less work.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh I know where they're at. There are literally thousands of them sitting in these propagation areas on each side of state route 285 and Hartstown Rd. Trouble is they get up and fly off and don't look back.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.