April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 367 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,277
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Things are slow here, so I thought I would start this thread in
hopes of getting some information on a possible builder of this rifle.
I got this off of gunbroker several months ago, but only picked it up from my dealer yesterday.

I will be happy to provide more pictures if asked. The rifle is a later 1903 Springfield with a serial number of 1,5xx,xxx range. It has been rebarreled and is still in 30-06, there are no markings on the barrel. The trigger guard has been reshaped. The inletting is really good, it is hard to see any gap between the wood and the metal. The screws are timed. It looks like the pad is a new replacement.

Here is a picture of the overall look of the rifle,

Here is a picture of the right side of the receiver

here is a picture of the trigger guard and grip cap

cheekpiece shape and figure in the buttstock

checkering on the bottom of the forend

left-side of pistol grip

It has a Pachmayr side swing scopemount, but is also drilled
and tapped for a Redfield-style scope mount. A sling with the appropriate swivels came with it. That is about all I can think of.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Did the gunsmith sign and date the butt under the pad?
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, there were no markings underneath the pad. In the barrel channel, in pencil, someone wrote the serial number of the action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
Can you ID the sling swivel bases? I have a ca 1912 Oberndorf Mauser that has these same bases to replace the Mauser ones (in different location).
Mike

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Mike

A sling with swivels came with the rifle, the swivels are
the kind used on super-grade Winchester Model 70's. I have
seen old Stoeger's or Herter's catalogs where you could buy
both the bases and sling swivels.

Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is not my expertise, but isn't the tapered triggerguard ring one of R G Owen's treatments?

... Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Fred
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

DEFINITELY NOT an R.G. Owen!

Shane Robinson
Joplin, MO
Sidelock
Sidelock

Too bad Michael Petrov is no longer with us, I saw your photos and reflexively looked down to see if he'd posted yet (
http://finegunmaking.com/page33/page25/page25.html).

For what it's worth, I have a Sedgely 'style' Springfield that looks similar. The barrel has an "IJ", WWII 03 replacement barrel.

Edit - dug this out of an old thread from a few years back.

Does yours have anything stamped in the bolt track on the receiver tang (Sedgely serial numbered their's there, IIRC).

A few years ago had a conversation Melvin Johnson's son. He claimed that his pop had a shop in western CT after the war, where they made 'some' (number unknown) Sedgely style rifles.

Last edited by Story; 07/06/16 01:27 PM.
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For what it's worth, I have a Sedgely 'style' Springfield that looks similar. The barrel has an "IJ", WWII 03 replacement barrel.

Edit - dug this out of an old thread from a few years back.

Does yours have anything stamped in the bolt track on the receiver tang (Sedgely serial numbered their's there, IIRC).

[/quote]

Hi Story,

can you post a link to the old thread discussing your rifle. I looked at mine, and found nothing stamped in the bolt track.

I have two other Sedgley's, a 1917 barreled action discussed in the link below

1917 Sedgley

And a 1903 discussed here

1903 Sedgley

The 1917 action has the number "459" stamped on the safety housing.
The 1903 Sedgley has no number on the bolt track. This may be because the rifle started off as a National Match and was probably sent to Sedgley to be stocked and have the scope put on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.