May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, Researcher), 1,093 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,540
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#442934 04/28/16 04:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the costs of importing a SxS from the UK? Are there charges to pay on both sides of the pond? Also, I remember reading about a firm that would handle importation for a very reasonable charge that is located in Houston, TX. Does anyone know the name of the company? Thanks for any help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used Briley years ago and they did a great job. I do not know if they still do this or not. My memory says you need a dealer in the UK to ship it and they do charge. That said a K-80 Parcours for 2800 motivated me!

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

The big change since I did it, about 20 years ago, is that it's now far more expensive to ship a gun here from the UK than it used to be. Quite reasonable back then, using a service called Data Post. Your regular FFL can do it for you, although he may not wish to get involved. But legally, anyone with an FFL can do "occasional" imports.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not recommend buying a lesser priced gun overseas. Sure you have the cost from TR imports, but now only certain airlines will accept guns.

Also, you will most likely have to pay a broker to arrange shipment.
Most airlines have a minimum freight charge too. Add some money for insurance if you wish. Some other junk charges too. By the time its get here you will have more money in the cost of the gun and the costs getting it over here than you could get a gun in the US in the same model.

Also, many overseas dealers want a wire transfer, not a check or cc. My bank charges $65 for an overseas transfer

If you are looking at an expensive gun, then the charges are not so bad.

I use to do it for folks, but now I only will consider it if they are a current customer of ours

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Houston, TX

Last edited by arrieta2; 04/29/16 08:55 AM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I purchased my Westley Richards boxlock a couple of years ago, I used British Sporting Arms (www.bsaltd.com). One of my shooting buddies has used them several times as well in the last five years. Call Mr. Schneible and discuss his doing it for you. I was very satisfied with the service.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One other thought that occurred to me was if the manufacture date on the SxS is before 1899, would that make things cheaper/easier on importation if it is a US antique?

Sidelock
Sidelock

2nd the other guys

Being in the international shipping business I can tell you today it makes no difference if the process easy or difficult gun is new or antique, no cheap way around it.

Because of government complication you have to go to several 3rd parties to import a gun and they all charge what the market will bear. Exporting agent satisfies local requirements, Import agent satisfies US Requirements. Both must be licensed by the governments. The international carriers air or sea profit in difficult to ship cargo and charge as much as they can. Both ends, air or ocean carrier you need a domestic carrier to get it to the exit port and from the entry port & he must be bonded.

Years ago while working in Australia & they were changing the gun laws things were cheap, bought several. Obtained the Australian Export permits myself, put the guns on my Company's ship care of the Master in his bonded locker. Consigned on the ships manifest to a dealer back in the US with a FFL import license. He went down to the ship and picked the gun up in person, carrying it to the piers Customs office for clearance, logging it into his records just like the Post Office had delivered it to him. None of this is possible to do anymore. I have a friend in Australia right now that wants 100 pieces of empty 32/40 Brass. All but imposable to ship to him economically. You can't even ship a rifle scope without complication.

My advice is find a company experienced and reliable to handle the shipment for you & pay what they ask. Better to get the gun than try to cut corners . If the gun won't stand the expense, pass on it.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 04/29/16 06:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last gun I imported was near a grand in total cost. I know someone will now claim that they can do it for $492.26 but I could not. Then again some people always buy the 60K car or truck for 48K but I can not. I could have saved a few hundred dollars if I tried but it might have been a lot more complicated which I tried to avoid. I paid on both ends, paid shipping cost which is not cheap these days, paid a fee for the importer to pick up, paid (taxes) import duty because the gun was not that old to be an antique and exempt.

So my rule of thumb is that no gun is worth importing unless you buy it for at least a grand plus under local value. No gun is worth risking that much unless you have it evaluated on the other end before you buy it because returning is just not a viable option. No gun is worth the hassles unless you let two or more competent people handle both ends for you and the more the more expensive. No gun is a one of a kind so see if something like is is for sale on this side of the pond.

Now it is cheaper to ship pre 1896 guns but it still get up there. Last quote I had from Holt's was 375 pounds plus my end cost but there would be no import duties. I could not get it shipped directly to my door I was told but expect that was in error. I have imported several antiques directly to my door back when you could ship Postal direct and it cost about 75 bucks a gun. Those were the good old days that were not that many years ago. Now I expect it to cost 500 plus to get the job done.

But if you want to know, ask someone here who does it like SKB, John or one of the other advertisers who post here. They are more up to date on real prices and can save you a lot of wasted time and effort. It might be smarter to import several guns at once to spread some of the cost over multiple guns. Four trips to the airport to clear and pick up four guns is a lot more expensive if you have to make four different trips. Great reason to tell your wife you need to buy several gun all in the name of economic sense. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon

I could not get it shipped directly to my door I was told but expect that was in error.

Sadly that is not in error. That is a new policy put in place by the shipping companies themselves withing the past few years. Even though FedEx, and UPS will ship guns within in US, which includes shipping antique guns to your door, the high ups have made the decision to not deliver imported guns "door to door" regardless if they are an antique or not.

It's important to repeat, this has nothing to do with any new government policy, it is solely the decision of the shipping companies themselves.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.