May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bret Adams, Jtplumb, canvasback, 1 invisible), 496 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,437
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mikek Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This gun has "London Stub Twist" engraved on the top of rib.Have been researching on internet.Would these barrels be classified as Damascus or Plain Twist? I've read about them using horseshoe nail stubs and steel to make them.But still don't know for sure what they would be classified as . Thanks, Mike k.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I understand correctly, the stubs, the part of the nail re-purposed after a cycle on a horse, were believed to posses "magical" properties due to the pounding of the horse shoe. Metallurgy says, "Not bloody likely!"

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
If I understand correctly, the stubs, the part of the nail re-purposed after a cycle on a horse, were believed to posses "magical" properties due to the pounding of the horse shoe. Metallurgy says, "Not bloody likely!"

DDA

oh ye of little faith! laugh

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Besides the compression of the iron from pounding they were also said to have absorbed carbon from the hoof.
I was of course simply a machinist, not a metallurgist. However it would seem to me that bringing the iron to a welding heat would relieve it of any compression that it may have obtained through pounding. Also for a piece of iron or steel to absorb carbon as in carburizing it is necessary for the mat'l to be brought up to its critical temperature. It is quite obvious this temp was not reached in a horse's hoof.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
mikek Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

They do have Birmingham proofs on them.Page 8 of Twist pattern examples and Methodology shows a picture of a real twist pattern,these barrels look exactly like that.They also match the "Laminated Best Stub Twist" example.

Last edited by mikek; 04/04/16 08:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there a name on the gun

mikek Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes, this gun was built by William Moore,a very respected gunsmith in Birmingham.I have read everything I can find on him.I cannot imagine someone with his rep. using Belgian barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'rough forged tubes' may have been sourced from Liege.

Thomas Webley c. 1879 in John Henry Walsh's The Shotgun
"Quite three-fourths of the tubes used in Birmingham are Belgian make, and nearly all the London trade use them."

c. 1890 James Purdey II wrote that he favored Belgian damascus because "...not that when thorough sound English damascus can be obtained they are not superior, but because Belgian workmen are more careful than English, and there is thus less risk of slag and rubbish getting into the welds."

W.W. Greener, The Gun and Its Development
"The very best barrel-makers who manufacture for the London, Berlin, and Vienna markets are to be found at Chaudfontaine or Nessonvaux, both places a few miles from Liege."

mikek Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Dr. Hause,thanks for all the links in your posts,have been reading them as much as time permits but have more to go.I will take some photos of these barrels and send them to you including proofs as soon as I can.You seem very knowledgeable on this subject, and I am learning as much as possible.Are any of those documents available in book form?Thanks,Mike K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.