May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guy Ave, cable, Warren A, 1 invisible), 437 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentleman:

As I fall deeper into the transition to "nicer things," I plan on ordering a cartridge bag and gun slip with my initials placed on them.

In your experiences, what are the pros and cons of canvas VS leather? I like the durability of a canvas and leather slip. Do the canvas bags hold up?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel like it would heavily depend on the construction. Not all materials are created equal.

All things the same, I'd say canvas will run lighter than a full grain leather bag. Leather is more easily refurbished with treatments, in my experience with the products.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope you like the "nicer things" better than I did. I bought a very nice leather British style cartridge bag several years ago and might have used it once. It does not fit my style. It's stiff and cumbersome. I much prefer my old McAlister oiled canvas bag. It's just a lot more "me".

Oh yeah, the canvas bags hold up very well. Mine is still going strong after probably 15 years of hard duck hunting, and other uses as well.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
DLH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of the loaders I saw last August in Yorkshire, all used leather cartridge bags. I'm sure some of our UK friends will have a more informed opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My view from the UK - is that leather is considered 'better quality'. It is certainly more expensive - and I suspect if well looked after would last longer. I have a leather bag, bought new 40 years ago. It remains in excellent condition despite a lot of use ........ but so does its canvas shoulder strap!
It is easier to wipe mud from leather.
Personally, I'd buy leather, but most important is the quality, stitching, strap attachments (some the strap goes right round underneath to take the weight) whichever material you choose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy a nice leather cartridge bag and give it to your wife as a purse. After a couple of years, maybe less, you'll get it back to use as a cartridge bag.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to be controversial I use both canvas and leather cartridge bags. On a driven pheasant day you quite often have a drive or two that are for partridges only. I like to use different cartridges for partridges than for pheasants hence the use of two bags to easily select the correct ones. I much prefer the leather bag, it is softer and more comfortable to use. I find the canvas bag stiff and unyielding even though it is 15 years older than the leather one. As previously mentioned a leather bag is easy to wipe down after use in a muddy field whereas the canvas bag has to be brushed hard to get the muck out of the woven surface of the canvas.
bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used a leather-trimmed canvas cartridge bag on several driven shoots in Scotland. British-made (Croots). Very little sign of wear. Seems to work OK to keep my powder dry in the rain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have started using one (leather) when shooting clays. The courses where I can walk it seems better to use one of them then carry a regular sporting bag loaded with shells.
I can just throw the speedbag over my shoulder.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the bags for walking clays courses. Have a small canvas use for 20 only bought from a friend, it works ok but won't stay open very well. My leather bag from Patrick Leather in Birmingham is just right. Durable easy to clean and top quality. Patrick also sells a Canvas bag that appears to be high quality. Might get one of his for 20 G only.

Patrick under the JP Shooter brand sells direct,, web site has little detail best phone him. If you google Farlows Pall Mall they have photos of Patrick's bags and Gun slips. Looked at many never found better quality.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 04/04/16 08:08 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.