May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (R Reynolds, obsessed-with-doubles, mark, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 313 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,576
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#440198 03/31/16 11:34 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any thoughts on where Greifelt sits in a general quality comparison? Recognizing that there are high and low- grade variations of each, where would they stand in comparison with pre-war Merkels, Simsons, Sauer or ? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Greifelt drilling and a side-by-side shotgun, both boxlocks and both on consignment at the Tulsa Gun Show this weekend with Ken Pendleton of Pendleton Firearms. I consider their quality no different from any of the other high grade Suhl gunmakers. Reason for the sale: two new drillings, a Krieghoff Waldschuetz and a Simson-Jaeger, with Jaeger's unique locking system.

Ger Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greifelt was a high qualified gunsmith in Suhl before WWII, you can compare with Merkel, Simson and Sauer, specially quality.

xausa #440256 03/31/16 05:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the quality, I agree with xausa and Ger.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also have a Greifelt drilling, and can attest to the quality. I've owned it for several years,fired well over 100 rounds of rifle ammo and a few thousand rounds of shotshells, from birdshot to buckshot and slugs. Never had a problem with the gun, and it's as tight as when it left Suhl in the early 1930's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a 12 and 20 O/U both imported by VL&D. Both condidered very high end back in the day and at the time was priced equivalent to a new automobile....or so I was informed by Griffin & Howe. From a quality perspective, my opinion is quite high on Greifelt. Hard to compare to the other known Suhl firms such as as Simson, Sauer, Sempert Kreighoff, Merkel as they also crafted field grade to super high end arms as well. All that I have seen (pre-war) are of excellent quality internally and externally.

You can find more on Greifelt and other makers here
http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/Sections/Page.asp?SID=436&MID=5#GreifeltBaltasar

Last edited by kcordell; 04/01/16 01:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have but one, a Model 272 9.3X74R O/U DR (1935)...

Though the adornment varies from the "high grades" to what at times are referred to as "field grades" the functionality and quality of craftsmanship of the guns of Suhl, in my opinion, is second to none. This surely goes for those produced by Greifelt. Sure, like others, if one can swing it it's nice to pick up the pretty and more refined guns but in my experience all have functioned well in the field where I enjoy them the most. Suppose I could, with a little more time on the bench and at the range, close the grouping a tad more with this Greifelt Model 272 but still the next boar targeted with this gun will not escape a trip to the freezer.

Regards,

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, gorgeous,,,,stunning O/U...with superior engraving...thanks for sharing.

Interesting to compare workmanship to a higher end Simson drilling of the same era. This example has seen harder days...yet still ready for the field aside from the fact that it is my favorite..:-)

Last edited by kcordell; 04/01/16 10:16 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Holy Moly! Those drillings and the double are stunning. And even your "higher grade tired old Simson" could have an honored place in my safe. The stories it must have...
I have a plain postwar 16 ga. Simson that is hell on pheasants. Mine was made in 54 when the dirty commies were running the show. No frills to speak of but it still locks up like a vault on Timkens. I think I'm still breaking it in, 60 years later. Here's my low end Simson.

[img:left][/img]

Last edited by mtwoodson; 04/01/16 12:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

mtwoodson,

It's nice to read that your Simson is "hell on pheasants". It's doing, of course with your help, what is was designed to do. Haven't seen any adornment on firearms putting any meat on the table yet.

Waidmannsheil!

Mark

Last edited by Buchsemann; 04/03/16 10:28 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.