March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a few. C.W. Ebrall of Shrewsbury. D Adams of Manchester. W. Richards Liverpool. Hooton & Jones Liverpool.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen a few Linsley Brothers guns, one pair a clone of an H and H Royal pair [later design] but I have not seen a Linsley marked Birmingham or London.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Joe's "nomination" of Cashmore--Kirkwood Brothers (Boston) sold these, and they are excellent sidelocks (also boxlocks).

Berrien

Sidelock
Sidelock

Other Scottish gun makers would include Charles Ingram, Daniel Fraser, James Dalziel Dougall and James Wallace with whom John Dickson served his apprenticeship from 1806 to 1813.

Regards - Ian Forrester
Mark II Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all! I recognize more of the names than I thought I would. The possibility of finding a great bargain is possible I hope. I had the honor of handling, but not shooting a pair of Dicksons owned by the late Lenard Bull. They are at the top of the mountain I am hoping to reach the summit someday. And it seems we are capable of discussing fine guns and differing opinions in a polite manner. Pictures are always nice. Respectfully, Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Every single maker was capable of producing a "best" gun in the strictest sense of the word. If money was no object the system of outworkers in England made it very easy. I think the best measure of a maker is the quality of work turned out at a price point, especially on the lower end. Here you will discover the real philosophy of the maker. What corners were they willing to cut, where did they draw the line, and so forth. For instance, I am always amazed at prewar guns made by Scott (or Webley & Scott). Most of their models were offered in at least three grades but the main differences were in the amount of engraving and figure in the wood. Underneath, the finish and fitting in the lowest grade is equal to that of the top grade. And I'm yet to find wood on the lowest grade that wasn't carefully laid out and executed. By the same measure though I often see other English examples put up in the crudest fashion, one I happen to own wasn't even case hardened! And I'm sure that very same maker could offer a best when tempted.

Moral to this treatise: just as a car shouldn't be judged by its paint job without looking under the hood, judge a gun by what's really important and not the superficial.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

We also have documented evidence that certain makers, (James Purdey, Westley Richards, Holland & Holland, to name a few) were tested to the limit over and over again and performed flawlessly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joseph T. Hartwell London
Edwinson Green Cheltenham

Sidelock
Sidelock

For bargain hunting, I offer the following advice.

Assume a BV1 gun = 8. Then BV2 = 6, BV3 = 4, BVB2 = 2, and BV5 = 1. This list assumes equal Original Quality grade and equal Current Condition level. The foregoing says that if you compare a BV1 (Boss/H&H/Purdey/Woodward) to a BV5 (continental made, unsigned masterpiece) of equal OQ and CC the BV5 gun will value 1/8 of the BV1 gun. A BV3 will value 1/2 a BV1. Bargains (mosty bang for the buck) in quality are in the lower BV's.

Buy the highest CC you can possibly afford. IMO, CC trumps both BV and OQ.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

J D Dougall

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.