Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The question about wood plugs in leather covered pads has come up before. It is not a problem. The pad itself doesn't give under reasonable recoil so the plugs aren't felt on the shoulder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doug Mann
Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
Doug, can a leather pad be installed using a Cervellati microcell pad as a base?

Dave, I am unfamiliar with this pad but if it is anything like a Pachmayr Decelerator it would probably work ok. I would not recommend covering a pad as soft as a Limbsaver. That would be, IMO, like trying to cover bubble gum.

Thanks, Doug.

I like the light weight of the microcell pads, but they are too grabby, and they hang up my gun mount.

Mark, I'll be interested in hearing how your attempt works out.

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got 2 of the standard Pachmayr pads leather covered & done by Del Whitman & they turned out very nice although I really prefer to use a Silver's pad as a base mostly because it looks traditional w/ the larger plugs & it makes a firmer base for the leather. The only issue with the Silvers is the weight.

Del uses leather covered wood dowels for plugs on the Pachmayrs & it's not an issue with feeling the plugs on recoil.

The non plugged leather covered pads are IMHO a bad idea. At some point in time the pad is going to need to come off for a variety of reasons & then what do you do that doesn't involve a saw or a chisel?

Maybe there is a way to install plugless leather covered pads not involving glue that I'm not aware of but I really don't mind the look of the plugs when done correctly so I don't see the point of complicating the installation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

May I suggest Dennis Potter also for your consideration. I agree Doug Mann does a great job on leather covered pads.

As to wooden plugs. I used to use the wooden plug method too. I found StockCap Corp. out of St. Louis about seven years ago. They make rubber plugs in many different sizes. I now use a 7/16" cutter to make the hole in the pad and a .350 plug. Using leather in the 1.5-2 oz weight(.022-.032 diameter) gives a good fit when the leather is put in the hole and over the plug. I made molds for forming the leather around the plugs which help keep sizing accurate.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Stock Doctor is as usual being modest. He installed this pad for me:

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look up the Larry Potterfield video on how to install a leather pad on YouTube. It's time consuming but not rocket science.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a Brownells philips bit made for pads. I pre-tap the holes in the wood by running a screw in and out a couple of times but with the least amount of torque possible. With the pad covered nut with the screws in the pad I puch back on the screw, cut a tiny slot in the leather, and use Brownells extra narrow bit to run the screw home. The tiny slot is hard to find but it is there if you want to remove the pad.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I appreciate the posts on how to do a leather covered pad w/o using plugs for the screw holes. I had not thought of doing it that way & for those who insist on no plugs it's a much better method than gluing the pad on over pegs which I have seen done before.

As for myself, I'm happy with nicely done plugs of either wood or rubber & I do like the look of a well done leather covered pad.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vol423
Look up the Larry Potterfield video on how to install a leather pad on YouTube. It's time consuming but not rocket science.

Yeah...go ahead...I wonder where he came up with the idea of the line scribing tool??

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.