May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 816 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RJM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A radial arm saw with a sanding disk works well on shaping pads & fore end tips.

Regards,
Ron

Last edited by RJM; 02/09/16 06:55 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got a big heavy duty 12" disc sander. I am trying to decide between the B & R pendulum type sanding jig, and the Miles Gilbert, or B Square style.

One question that has come to mind that I've not seen addressed is this: Both type jigs set the proper heel and toe angles, but with the Miles Gilbert and B- Square types the sides of the pad will be ground at a 90 degree angle to the base it seems, and not have the proper slight angle on the sides that will continue the line of the wood. The buttstock is thicker at the heel and toe than at the comb and grip, and it seems to me that the pad should continue this angle to look perfect.

The pendulum style looks as if it would give that taper to the sides necessary to continue the sidelines of the wood. Am I right about this, Mark? You said you use the pendulum type. Or anyone else who has knowledge of this issue.

Thanks again, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Besides the adjustment for heel and toe angle by adjusting the triangle you can adjust the sideline angle by moving the hanger in or out from the disc.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, Mark. That tells me all I need to know.

All my best, Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the Miles Gilbert Jig. Not wanting to give up shop space to a big disk sander bought a Table Saw sanding disk and PSA disk in several grits from Woodcraft supply. 10 inches it's 20 bucks I think. It will fit a table saw but the Miles Gilbert Jig holds the pad high, table saw you lose what's under the arbor and table, when mounted you are not working with much of the disk.

I put it on a Arbor then chuck the arbor in my lathes 4 jaw, Run it any speed I want. About 800 rpm seems best. Home made wood table bolted to the Lathe's ways gives me full use of the disk for rough sanding. Take it almost to the line with 80 grit. Then move the jig mounted pad over to a 1x42 inch stationary belt sander for smoothing. 120 150 180 220 even 320 grit. Hand held, all I am doing on the Stationary Belt is polishing. Takes very little off. I get that very slight side angle during the polishing step.

Works for me.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 05/10/16 12:15 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Boats.

One issue I see with the disc sander I bought, as opposed to a big belt sander, with a belt sander you could run an 80 grit to take it down most of the way, then easily change belts to a finer grit for a bit smoother finish before hand finishing. I'm sure you could start out with a finer disc, to begin with, and it would just take longer to get the pad ground down near the line. Harder to change the sanding discs that are held in place by adhesive backing. I don't see at as a big deal, though, since I will be finishing them up with a sanding block anyway.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/11/16 07:08 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan

That's a issue for sure. Disk I am running stuck a 80 one side 120 the other. I can reverse the disk and get a bit smother finish, not as smooth as it needs to finish. Plus reversing I have to adjust the 4 jaw each time to keep it turning smooth.

You want the aggressive grit to hog down, but take it too far it tear's the pad surface causing a whole lot of work to sand out smooth plus making the pad smaller. That's why I go to the belt sander to finish. Mines a small one 1x42 however used to smooth only, free hand back side of the sander, belt is not supported.

Main thing I use that sander for is tool sharpening, same way grind with a jig one big tool, to the small sander for finish.

Ideal would be all 3, big disk, big belt, small belt all running different grits. Was in a pro sharpening shop the other day. They don't change the belts, move down the line, tool to tool as they go to finer grits.

Boats

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Was in a pro sharpening shop the other day. They don't change the belts, move down the line, tool to tool as they go to finer grits."

Boats

Reminds me of a small acreage farmer here years ago who had a tractor for every implement ...... bottom plow, harrow, planter, etc. Said he didn't like readjusting things everytime he switched implements. grin grin True story.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/11/16 08:06 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the new pads are very soft and can be a pain to sand. They almost are gummy when working. I found that by putting them into the freezer the pad got much firmer and easier to work. I did several for a Trap shooter who love the softness of the pad and thinks they absorb recoil best. I think they feel tacky to the touch but are very soft against the shoulder so might absorb more recoil.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have noticed that, too. The pad on my MX-8 is a Kick-Eez, and it feels tacky around the heel and toe where it gets the most wear. I've seen other brands that are even worse. Good idea on the freezer, thanks.

SRH

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.