April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, j7l2, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jlb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I was looking at gun for sale sites on the net last night I saw a Mario Beschi NID 4E SXS 20 ga at the William Larkin Moore & Sons site.

Seeing this gun made me to start wondering about the mechanical similarity and quality of the Beschi gun with either the recent Ithaca Classic Doubles (ICD) guns or the original NID Ithaca. I seem to remember that the forgings for ICA doubles were made in Italy and I wonder if the Beschi gun comes from this linage. Since I am unlikely to see either a ICA or a Beschi gun in person I thought I would ask members of this forum to weigh in with their opinions.

Thanks

jlb

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure looks like a nice double. Can't speak to the origin if the gun or its parts being ICD, but it sure is pretty.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looked at that one myself a while back. Its on the bargain rack with no returns. It might be a good deal, but with out being able to handle it, I'm not going to risk it.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one in 410. My understanding of the history of these guns is from some of our members that followed the Ithaca Classic Doubles story while I was playing with horses or airplanes. My recollection is that Beschi was a supplier of the semi-finished components. Quality assurance problems eventually broke the business relationship between ICD and Beschi. The story goes that the rejected parts returned to Beschi were assembled into guns and sold.

I can't speak to the quality of the guns in general, but my example had some significant issues. The chambers were undersize. The point of impact on one barrel was about 9" off. The Sears were short, causing the main springs of the hammers to push the gun slightly closed in the broken open position.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

the icd parts that galazan sold have lots of problems hammers were machined short, short sears,20 ga bbls sold as 28 ga(never finished boring and really heavy)unfinished 410 bbs, machine work unfinished on the inside of the receiver.but for what they are asking for this gun if you could check it out might not be a bad deal but you really need to have a good look.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were considering another Beschi NID copy, I'd insist on the gun passing a professional evaluation including patterning by a gunsmith of your choosing. If WLM won't allow it, pass on it. It's a gun. If it doesn't work well as a gun, it ain't worth buying.

jlb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the information. I am not interested in owning a Beschi NID copy but I did wonder about the quality. Your responses have been very interesting.

Are there similar concerns about Ithaca Classic Doubles guns?

jlb

Sidelock
Sidelock

No! Steve Lamboy and his crew weeded out the crap that Beschi sent him and eventually found excellent suppliers for his actions and barrels. It did cause delays in production early on and, I believe, contributed greatly to the ultimate demise of ICD!

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good comments, Bill! The Beschis may look like ICD's, but at least in some cases, you can tell the difference if you look hard. I remember seeing 3 or 4 of them on a dealer's table at a gun show years ago, not too long after ICD went out of business. I looked down the outside of the barrels on a couple and had to stop because I was getting seasick from all the ripples. Maybe the best thing that can be said about them is that they passed Italian proof so shouldn't blow up when you shoot them.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My gunsmith in Pa worked on a number of these ICD rejects over the years. He described them as a crapshoot. Some required just a bit of work to make them right and others were borderline hopeless and required lots of dollars to make them work. Crapshoot might be the best description with the first four letters really describing them the best.

foxes rule
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.