May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, montenegrin), 301 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to all that have replied so far and for the welcome. In true Canadian fashion I just got back from watching the local Jr hockey game.
It sounds like the repair for the dent and possibly the fix for the top lever having to be operated to close the gun may not be so bad after all. Sourcing 2 1/2 inch shells would be nearly impossible. Pity that RST does not sell in Canada. I could get the chambers lengthened at the same time as other repairs if I buy this gun. Has anyone been successful in bending a stock upwards for less D.A.H.in such old wood or is it better to budget for a new stock.
Canvasback, who would you recommend for repairs in Kelowna. Newf, I will look up your info, sounds like you have some fans on this forum. Cheers all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you will find that you can obtain 20 bore 2 1/2" cartridges, in Canada through Kent Gamebore Canada.
Phone:(800) 844-1880
Fax:(905) 294-4921
E-mail: kentc@kentgamebore.com
I have found that European Arms ( http://www.euroarms.com ) in North Vancouver certainly stocks their 12 bore 2 1/2" loads, and I would think they would have 20 bore as well.
Finally, out here on the west coast, Stuart, of S J Newby Gunsmiths Ltd. (Half Moon Bay BC 604-740-3725) is an excellent double gunsmith.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say it'd be a good buy in the States . . . but only for someone who can live with those stock dimensions. By the time I made it longer, there would be over 3" drop at heel. Wouldn't work for me. So I'd have to add in a semi-inletted stock plus someone to do the final fitting plus the repairs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Newf
Hey James ,you could recommend some way out east if you like wink

Chris, before I give him your contact info I need to find out if he speaks Newfoundland. He may not be bilingual. laugh
Right0- you Newfie you!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Tim:

The LOP - 13-1/2", over a pad, would probably put me off the gun.

There is good parts availability in the US, Pumpkin Mountain having a large inventory of new-old-stock parts from the Fox factory. As I understand it it is difficult to ship gun parts across international borders.

I don't know the market for Sterlingwortth 20s in Canada but I would look some more before I bought that one.

I am a Fox fan and, like you, an avid upland hunter.

Best,

Mike

Edit: I reread your post again. If that LOP is 13-1/2" to the end of the wood then yes, I would buy the gun. If that 13-1/2" LOP is over the pad I would look some more.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/17/16 10:51 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Tim, welcome aboard.
Sounds like it could be a nice gun, and as you mentioned, 20 gauges don't come up all that often here.
2 1/2" Kent gamebore shells are available. If you can't find them in stock, pretty much anyone who handles Kent can order them for you if they want to make the effort.
I'd just pay the mailing cost and send the gun to Newf depending on what you want done and if he will take it on. I can vouch for his work more than once. In fact he's getting another gun of mine next week.

However Tim, I will say this. Sometimes in Canada it is difficult to find one person who will/can repair everything that a vintage gun may need, at least to be done properly. So sending it to more than one person may be required at times which is something that you have to anticipate when working on these vintage guns in this country. Not saying your gun is not repairable by one person as it doesn't sound that drastic. Just a heads up when venturing into the vintage gun arena if you plan on having work done.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 01/17/16 11:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's the law read for Canadians to purchase shotgun shells in the USA to take back to Canada? I know we can take 10 boxes to Canada, when we go waterfowl hunting in AB or SK. There is a local store that sells the RST ammo, last time I checked, and if close to the US border, perhaps on a trip down sometime, pick some up, if it's this area. I think on the RST website it says who the vendors are for their product, so if you're closer to WA State there may be some RST vendors in the Okanagan Valley.

I see BC and AB license plates here all the time, shopping in CDA.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

To legally purchase ammunition in the US an alien must have a US hunting license( license can be from anywhere in the US and any kind of hunting license) . I am unsure about the amounts that may be brought back but a quick check with Canadian Customs would clear that up. Last time I went through Canadian customs I had 5 lbs of powder. I was quizzed by the Canadian Customs if I had an export license but explained I had a hunting license and away I went.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can't export shotshells from the US without the dealer getting an export permit. For all intents and purposes making it impossible to do legally. Canada Customs doesn't care, it's US customs on the way out. And if they get a sniff you hunt or shoot, they will be looking.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
dmh Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

regarding export of ammo from US to Canada: Canadian law allows for import of a significant quantity without a permit, but the US requires an export permit. As Tamid experienced, unlikely that Canadian Customs would be concerned about the US export permit being in order. The chance of getting checked by US customs on departure is clearly very low, but departure checks do occur and I would imagine that the potential consequences could be extremely unpleasant.

If on a hunting trip I wouldn't think a small quantity left over would attract any attention coming back.

Would be great if someone picked up distribution of RST in Canada, but on the other hand with the current exchange rate it would make for pricy shooting. I recently bought a 2 1/2" gun and after looking at the limited options in Canada, decided to try my hand at reloading.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.