April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (fab500, Argo44, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 446 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,153
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#429205 12/14/15 03:32 AM
rog8811 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi Gents, I have arrived here after much searching of the web, I wonder if you can help me out with some information about, what to me is, an enigmatic gun.
It is a side by side, back action hammer, underlever with 30" damask barrels.
It has rebound locks and a steel butt plate, it has Birmingham proofing and is marked with the choke size, I would guess at a date of around 1887.

The bit that I cannot get is the maker, the only markings on the lock plates are W.M & G.... that is it, nothing more, I have searched and searched for a maker that used this mark and have found nothing, can anyone here shed some light for me?

Last edited by rog8811; 12/14/15 03:33 AM. Reason: make it English :)
Sidelock
Sidelock

That would initially suggest William Moore & Grey, a very good London maker.

However ...my understanding is that their name was used spuriously, often by a Belgian maker. As far as I am aware they always signed their guns 'Wm Moore & Grey'. They also always numbered their guns. So you need to be wary of attributing this gun to them until further investigation has been carried out.

It would be helpful if you could kindly post some photos of the gun, especially the markings and proof marks. We may then be able to assist further.

Tim

rog8811 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the input, Interestingly on further scrutiny I have found a number on the trigger guard tang, it is No 4001... The gun is very worn, it has obviously been used a lot in its lifetime.

I cannot find a direct upload button for pictures, at some point I will look to getting some photo's online to link too.

Regards Rog

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remove the barrels and look at the proof marks on the underside of them. If you see an ELG stamping that signifies it was made in Belgian and not English made.
OOPS-I just saw where you said t has Birmingham proofs.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 12/14/15 10:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wm Moore & Grey (gunmaking business under various names from 1820 to 1908) did of course have a Birmingham workshop (Whittal St, Loveday St) at the same time as their London premises, so it would be quite feasible for this gun to have come out of their shop there. I believe most of these guns ended up for export, with higher end guns made in London.

Serial numbers may help to narrow down the dates and from my own research I have the following:

No 374 Earliest number at 78 Edgware Road address, from 1828
Became William Moore & Co in 1836
No 875 Earliest number at 43 Old Bond Street, from 1854
Became Wm Moore & Grey in 1862
No 4737 Earliest number at 165 Piccadilly, from 1896
No 5613 Earliest number at 8 Craven St, from 1902

The proof marks will help narrow down the date for this gun further, since 1862 - 1896 is rather a large span!

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there an address on the rib?

rog8811 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Here follow some photo's, first the proof marks, the centre rib has a couple of letter "c"'s on it and the full serial number on barrels and fore end.

Next we have the makers mark.

.....the number from the trigger guard tang

General view of gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the pictures it appears your guns barrels and action don't match,which makes its pedigree irrelevant.
If it's a shooter,enjoy it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
From the pictures it appears your guns barrels and action don't match,which makes its pedigree irrelevant.
If it's a shooter,enjoy it.

Hi Justin,

Can you help me understand what lead you to that conclusion? Is it the different number engraved on the trigger guard tang?

I'll have to check to make sure, but I believe that I have several guns that have numbers engraved on the guard that do not match the serial numbers stamped on the barrel and action flats.

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

redoak,yes that's right. There are inatances where there are other numbers on the barrel tubes but as for Brit. made guns the numbers on the guard will match the serial numbers on the barrels. If not the barrels have been replaced.
Of course like all things British I'm sure there are exceptions but I can't think of any.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.