April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (R. Glenz, Craigster, graybeardtmm3, Ted Schefelbein, skeettx, battle), 410 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought you fellows might like to see an old school version of rifle design. This one for a small Hagn action, the first I've worked on. It has an octagon to round, integral fitting barrel by Ralf Martini in 6.5x55.
I begin with a mechanical drawing of the barreled action in pencil (I use a mechanical pencil) photo copy that, trace and erase everything hidden by the stock then build the stock around that.

The pencil drawing is traced on my homemade light table refining all along in ink (Sharpie pen and Pilot P-700).

The completed drawing, still a while before you will see much in the way of actual gunmaking...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting project. Your pictures always say a whole lot more than first look. If it can work out, a close up of some of that barrel machining would be appreciated. Thanks for the peek behind the scenes.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Your pictures always say a whole lot more than first look"
(Like the mess on my roll-top in the background? I cropped most of it.)
Thanks for the thoughtful words~

I'll see if I have a close-up of the barrel on the other computer… I really believe these to be as fine a barrel design and machining as anything on the planet. Please note the fat section under the fore arm to add weigh in the palm of the left hand. The rifle should still come in about six pounds.

BTW: A Biesen checkered trap buttplate to access the through-bolt and a Fisher trap grip cap just because.

I hope you do know that Ralf Martini machined, fit and chambered the barrel in Cranbrook, BC?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
....I really believe these to be as fine a barrel design and machining as anything on the planet. Please note the fat section under the fore arm to add weigh in the palm of the left hand. The rifle should still come in about six pounds....

These are the two general points that I was curious about. It looks like a lot is going on in the back half of the barrel, and it must be well executed due to your complement.

From the drawing, I was trying to get a feel for the size of the action, and that trim final weight has me figuring it's a compact overall barreled action. What I think I see is forearm and butt stock fine tuning that's the opposite from some of the work that you show.

It looks like key areas are drawn up thicker, maybe to keep the proportions and balance looking right with what is probably a pretty compact action. I'd look forward to seeing how it comes off the drawing board. I think it's quite something have a vision of what to do, but then knowing how to get there and pulling it off.

Thanks for the topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So nice to see paper and pencil put to elegant, practical use. ("No pixels were killed in the making of this drawing.").

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree! It is becoming a lost art! I also like the choice of cartridge, my favorite round.
Best,
Craig

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. I'd love to learn CAD but don't want to ever give up this practice.

Having the drawing on the wall when I'm working on the project is a tremendous help, and I make notes right on the drawing of changes, inconsistencies or improvements.

I was too busy to even look for pics of Ralf's barrel today.

WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I really like the drawings. Steve Durren did the same for the Springfield and Krag he did for me and I really appreciate that he sent me a full length copy of the drawing for my perusal and comments. I kept the drawings posted on the wall while waiting for the rifles.

I keep a roll of white butcher paper on hand just for drawing and doodling. I can roll out just as much as I need no matter how much I need and the quality of the paper is surprisingly good for the purpose. There is nothing like plenty of paper for working out the details on a project just by doodling.

Jerry Liles

Last edited by WJL; 12/03/15 08:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a draftsman from the era of vellum and ink (even worked on cloth and ink!), that brought a smile to my face. Thanks.

Perhaps a naive question but are the proportions and general stock layout "givens" or more artistic? What I'm trying to ask is, do you have a number of set parameters for drop, etc. or is it more a matter of sketching what looks right to you? Hopefully, my poorly worded question makes some sort of sense..

Thank you,
Hoot

Edited to add: I REALLY like the looks of that, by the way.

Last edited by Hoot4570; 12/03/15 08:58 AM.
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, there are definitely "given" as far as dimensions, relative locations and angles; to here from there.
I teach all of this in seminars and have written about it in Sports Afield. The placement of the front edge of the grip cap has major effects on the total architecture of the gun stock….
They angle of the photo shown here somewhat distorts all of this. In my Custom Rifles in Black & White book I show full length views of most all the rifles as near as straight on profile as I could shoot with the camera.
Best,
SDH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.