March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another vote for the Irish Setter Havoc Upland Boot. I tried Irish Setter after my LL Bean boots died within two years of buying them. I find they have a rough break in period, but after that no issues at all.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Irish Setter

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back when I worked we had to have steel toe capped boots and the company chipped in on the price. I had tried different boots and some were ok. They opened a Red Wing store near me and I decided to try them. The fellow asked me what size I needed and told him 9 1/2 D. He asked if I had my foot measured and I told him no, he measured it on some type of electronic foot measurer. It came out to be 10 1/2 E. I told him that was too big, he explained that they had the same area size. He put one 91/2 D on one foot and a 10 1/2 E on the other and didn't say which one but said to walk around the store. Came back and said which one felt better, and I said which one and took it off and showed me it was a 10 1/2 E.
I had also mentioned to him about breaking new shoes in of which he told me if the shoe fits right there is no breaking in.

Which ever you decide just make sure you get the right size. Also everyone's has a foot that is larger than the other and the only way some people take care of that is to have shoes custom made.

Last edited by JDW; 11/22/15 10:53 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dick_dup1
Russell Boots, various styles....
Custom made to your feet, still made in Wisconsin in a small factory using 20th Century techniques by real people you can actually visit and talk to.

I have a pair. I can't say that I am a real fan of them. I hunted Africa in them, and I hunt antelope and birds wti them where the ground is not super rocky. They are very flat in the insole, which can be solved with foot-bed inserts but that seems sort of crazy for such expensive boots. I need to seen them back to have the toes restitched, but I have to say the original stitching lasted much much longer than "a couple of weeks". More like a decade.

I also have a pair of Cabela's Mendele's Ultralight boots. Man, are they comfy. HOWEVER they do not have aggressive enough tread for chasing elk and the like in very steep muddy, or snow terrain. They are fine for birds though. They are holding up okay but some of the stitching is starting to pull through the leather in a couple of places.

I don't know what the best boots are, but I do know I ain't got'em.

Last edited by BrentD; 11/22/15 09:17 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a pair of Irish Setter Wingshooter and they are great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These boot type threads surface from time to time:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=408028&page=all

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've spent literally 6 figures in the last 15 years buying, selling and retaining a very modest cabinet of some very nice doubles.

Herein lies the rub, a slightly painful rub in the case of my "sucky" boots, in that I have neglected my feet and in the past
and not spent more than $100 on any particular pair of boots be it for work or sport. That's all about to change.

I paid a visit to Red Wing today, put my feet in the way back machine and got fitted for three pairs of new boots.
Pick up and pay on Black Friday and save 20%.

1 for work,
Irish Setter Men's 802 Havoc WP 10" Upland Boot

one for shooting the flats
Irish Setter 7" Wingshooter 838's

and one for the rocky hills.
Irish Setter Men's 801 Havoc WP 9" Upland Boot

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like most styles of boots, including Danners. But the stitches always get wore out in the first year with miles and miles of grass and brush. Then, i'd have to send them in for repairs.

So, I picked up a pair of Danner Light II's and really do like their toughness. No stiches, one piece leather. A touch short at the ankle at times, but they are nice on the plains. Going on year 3 w/the help of a little shoe gue on the toe and sides.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been hunting that sort of terrain and worse in AZ since 1981. I have a pair of Russell boots with a thick oak midsole and vibram soles (3d soles as the rock rounds the edges off and they no longer give a good grip on rock edges. The thick leather between the moccasin and the vibram sole keeps the sharp rock from bruising feet. I have hunted deer in this stuff in places where I swear to have not stepped on anything but rock for over a week! The boots themselves are a double layered oiled leather moccasin and are a little scratched up but good for another 20 years (probably without me). Little pricey but I think worth it. I wore out a pair of Rocky's with molded soles in one day, and 2 pairs of my Vietnam jungle boots in 2 seasons although they were a good design for the desert. Wear LL Bean rubber bottom boots in this stuff and you will come back barefoot after a couple hours. If you are worried about snakes wear some Turtle Skin gaiters or chaps. They also help with the Cholla.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 11/23/15 02:18 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Love my Irish Setters 808's. 9 inches tall, non insulated, soles have great grip. No break in time, comfty right out of the box.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.