May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (David Williamson, LGF, NTaxiarchis), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,511
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#425789 11/09/15 07:54 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When loading some brass 12 bore hulls last week I noticed that my wad stack and over shot cards did not seat properly. I load these with black powder and shot them today to check function. They worked fine but I think it's time to resize them. I was looking at the RCBS "Cowboy" set and would ask if anyone has experience with them. I picked up a gunsmith brass size die years ago at a gun show in the junk box at a table and it works well. Lube the hulls and tap into and out of the die. I use a rawhide hammer and a wood dowel relieved for the primer seat. How do the RCBS dies work for this task? I will partially anneal them before the next reload. These are Remington and Winchester hulls that had been used when I bought them years ago and I must have at least 40 reloads on them. I do not roll crimp so have had no mouth splits but a very few have finally showed hull splits and those are culled out and retired to the hull collection or cut down for powder and shot scoops. I hope a partial anneal will put a little spring back in them. I still have 4 25 round boxes of new Remington "Best" No.12 hulls in reserve.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just use a Texan sizing ring and body and use a vice to insert the hull fully into the die.

Mike

or my 12 ton shop press grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been loading RMC brass hulls since 2006 and so far have had no need to re-size the hulls. The loaded hulls drop easily into the chambers of my SxS. Is re-sizing in my future?

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot heavy 10's and never resized them. I did paint the shells that went in the left barrel with red nail polish on the lettering on the head. Used in the same chamber I doubt if they will ever need resized.
bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I do not know. I usually use them in one specific gun but shot them in my TOZ coach gun just to blow them off. The problem I noticed was that my cards and filler wads did not seat with much resistance and I,m thinking that the hulls are getting a bit tired and not springing back as expected so not getting the tight seal I'm used to. I have got a lot of reloads on them and never annealed them so I think I'll go for a partial anneal and see if they get some spring back into the hulls. Brass hulls, black powder and card/fiber wad stack just seem kind of right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your chambers must be identical, otherwise the hull will expand to the largest chamber. I shoot RMC hulls using nitro powders in SxS's. Two 20 gauge guns that have identical chambers, one 16 GA and one 12. The 16 and 12 have also have identical chambers (gauge specific). So I guess a re-sizer is not in my future.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

375, I would expect you would need to anneal and resize only if the hulls became difficult to extract from the chambers. Are you buying wads or making your own? You might consider a larger diameter for your wads if there really is a sealing problem.

Note that it is repeated resizing without annealing that leads to cracks. A fireformed hull should be able to withstand a large number of loadings if it is shot in a matchin g chamber and not resized. Annealing brass "softens" it and reduces "spring." A freshly annealed hull will "spring back" a few thousandths of an inch (sufficient for easy extraction from the chamber) after first firing. If the hull is repeatedly fired in a larger chamber and/or repeatedly resized, it will work harden. If the hull is hard enough, it will spring back too much and continue to get harder until it cracks. The trick is to match hulls to a chamber while they are still relatively soft and keep them with said chamber.

DDA.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have not resized them before this last loading and have never annealed them. Possible that they work hardened by many loadings? From this batch of 20 I had 1 hull split on the last firing. All of the others look to be just fine. I buy cards and wads and use 11 ga. for the 12 ga. brass hulls. Prior loadings they seated with resistance and gave good compression and seal. Last loading they seemed to be a bit loose. That is why I am thinking about a resize and partial anneal. (It maybe possible that these hulls are finally just used up?) They have certainly paid for themselves with many loadings and lot's of enjoyment on the course and in the field. I may just break out a new batch of hulls. I've had the new Remington's for 30+ years and it may be time to dip into them. I've loaded several old Alcan brass hulls and they are really nice. Have two boxes of them unfired in my collection and I think I'll get them out also. Paper hulls are the best for black powder but there is just something about all brass hulls and old hammer guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So far I have only ever used brass hulls in a single gun, and I have never resized them. Lazy as I am, I would likely opt to get different size wads and cards if I thought the hulls were getting oversized. Cheaper, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Eric 375
Possible that they work hardened by many loadings? If I remember my metallurgy correctly, Work hardening in brass occurs only when the metal is plastically deformed; strained beyond its capability to return to original size and shape. A cartridge in a properly fitted chamber should be able to withstand a very large number of firings without resizing or annealing.

From this batch of 20 I had 1 hull split on the last firing. Where did it split?

It maybe possible that these hulls are finally just used up? If the hull fits the chamber there is no such thing as "used up."

Paper hulls are the best for black powder but there is just something about all brass hulls and old hammer guns. Why do you think paper is best for BP? I'd think brass much superior, other than that hulls must be cleaned.

DDA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.