Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the one, Jake! You're a bit confused about the details, though. Jack has given you the straight story, including the part that the raised gun and the cold, dead fingers quote. Didn't happen at the Denver meeting.
Thank you, Jack.

One time he did it, he added "From my cold, dead hands, MR. GORE". You maybe didn't like that one either.
Maybe you also think Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" was a well-intended documentary?

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, both as a member of PF and RGS and as a member of the outdoor press, I get emails and press releases from those two organizations going into fairly specific detail--including the text of testimony before various Congressional committees--concerning their efforts on the Hill. My status is no different with IWLA--member, and working member of the outdoor press. Maybe they're just not very efficient at getting the word out on what they do in DC--other than through their magazine, Outdoor America. And although the most recent edition of that magazine focused on a number of environmental issues, it contained nothing relative to RKBA issues.

So . . . when other organizations (with smaller memberships than IWLA) are quite effective in advising both their members and the outdoor press about their lobbying activities, it seems to me quite an assumption on your part that the IWLA is engaging in RKBA lobbying efforts in DC--and not reporting on those activities, either to their members or to the outdoor press. And you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.

If I were counting on an organization to stand up for my RKBA rights, I'd want something a little better than an assumption to go on. But if it's good enough for you . . .

Two points for the NRA:

1. The NRA convention was here last week, and Missouri's governor was an active participant. He sure wasn't afraid to be part of the NRA and have his photo ops.

2. The NRA was the major determinent is getting a CCW law passed in Missouri a few years back. Without them, that would never have happened.

None of us agree 100% with every NRA position, but I'm sure glad they are working for us, and our gun rights.

Jerry Goldstein

Sidelock
Sidelock

Generally speaking, Jack is right on how organizations work to change things, publicly and back-channelling. It's part of my work. The antis didn't get the upper-hand in Canada with donations, five-colour ads and publicity campaigns.

As for the best way, our beliefs are founded on conscience and experience with all the usual contradictions, involving our interpretation of events around us, with varying shades of meaning, and yet they're still compatible with pragmatism.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do democrats have a palate for more gun control legislation? I mean, don't they actually want to win this time?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
Jake, I think you have been suckered by an urban myth spawned by the gun-grabbers. Here is the text of
NRA members are in City Hall, Fort Carson, NORAD, the Air Force Academy and the Olympic Training Center. And yes, NRA members are surely among the police and fire and SWAT team heroes who risked their lives to rescue the students of Columbine from evil, mindless executioners.

"Don't come here?" We are already here. This community is our home. Every community in America is our home. We are a 128-year-old fixture of mainstream America. The Second Amendment ethic of lawful, responsible firearm ownership spans the broadest cross-section of American life imaginable.

So we have the same right as all other citizens to be here ... to help shoulder the grief... to share our sorrow ... and to offer our respectful, reasoned voice to the national discourse that has erupted around this tragedy.

One more thing. Our words and our behavior will be scrutinized more than ever this morning. Those who are hostile toward us will lie in wait to seize on a soundbite out of context, ever searching for an embarrassing moment to ridicule us. So let us be mindful ... the eyes of the nation are upon us today.[/i]

Yes, Heston did refuse to buckle under to emotional media and public pressure in the wake of Columbine - and I think he did right. To fold would have been an admission of responsibility for the shootings. But as for Heston's "cold, dead hands" performance, I believe it was taken out of context, as he predicted, from another occasion unrelated to Columbine. [/quote]

Jack,
As I read your posting of the speach, I do remember it. And, no offense to your take on it, but I also remember what a dumb thing I thought it was to go forward with that convention at that time and in that place.
As for the "cold, dead hands" spectical, I swear I saw it at the same time. It was an over the top public display. Maybe not in that speach, but I thought it was at the same time.
At any rate, I just think an intellegent discussion about guns is socially responsible. The instantanious reactionary slogans and position of the NRA may do more to alienate them from the main stream than they think. And, like it or not, the main stream has the power.
If every member of the NRA found a few democratic folks to befriend and took them to the club for a few clays it would do more good than chanting the slogans and drawing lines in the sand. At least, that is what I think.
Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jakearoo,

While I may not agree with your opinion that the NRA should have not gone to Denver that year, I respect your right to disagree. But, you are very mistaken about the "Cold, Dead Hands" being at that speach. I am just as sure that you may have seen it at the same time. I am sure that many TV and print media ads at that time used that quote and photo of Heston holding the musket over his head as a sort of "yellow journalism" to sway public opinion against the NRA, that simply did not happen then. Mr. Heston is an honorable man, one of first class and impeccable taste. I cannot believe for one instant that he would be so crass as to do that in the wake of what happened at Columbine.

Have you ever read the speach he gave at Harvard? Amazing. I will post it here if anyone is interested.

David #37255 04/25/07 07:42 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

True Dave, but one has to follow CC laws in state you choose to carry. Some have more strict rules then others and guest will be held accountable for violating them.

Jake: I agree with Steve. It was typical of the anti-gun media to splice the "cold dead hands" bit into Heston's speech and make him look ridiculous. They do that cr@p all the time. It was a powerful combination, and it made an unforgettable impact on the public memory. So powerful that even some gun owners now imagine that it happened that way.

If there is any vestige of 'journalistic integrity' remaining in this nation, it gets switched off whenever the media address polarizing issues such as guns or climate change.

You're right, Jake, that bumper sticker chanting doesn't qualify as intelligent discussion. Every time I see fanatics in Tehran, Baghdad or Pyongyang shouting 'death to America' in unison, I wonder how otherwise intelligent human beings can abandon the gift of thinking in favor of mindless slogans.

The "cold dead hands" line rightly draws ridicule, and it was embarrassing to see a man of Mr. Heston's age and stature parroting it. But he did not say it in connection with Columbine - that was a media swindle. IMHO, his Denver NRA speech was thoughtful, respectful, and appropriate to the circumstances.

Last edited by jack maloney; 04/25/07 11:00 AM.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com

I haven't posted in some time...new job at age 78, and it takes time in travel, so I don't have much time to do computer.

I'm a life member of the NRA, and have been forever. I always take the opportunity to suggest people need to join...they are far and above the voice of us all.

J.L. Dunn
Kingwood, TX

J L Dunn
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.