April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (buckstix, Jimmy W, barrel browner, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 409 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,201
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#420085 09/23/15 10:05 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found old 16ga Auto-5: short barrel around 25" in length IC with 70mm chambers. The gun is in very good condition with some handling marks. While little heavy to modern standards (when compared to Benelli or Beretta) it is of all steel and wood construction. Is it difficult to adjust recoil spring to make it reliable and to prevent forend wood from splitting. What loads are recommended.
Are the standard US game loads ok (Remington seems most available) or should one stick with specialty loads from RST, for example. thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had two of them. Try the regular setting with the recoil
spring and concave-convex washer and I think the 1 oz loads from Federal or Remington would work fine. Back in the 50s-60s a lot of shooters used the even heavier loads in the 16, but they are unnecessary.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always used 1 1/8 oz loads in mine( 26" IC),and it killed a pick up truck load of game for me. It never failed to operate, regardless of how I had it set. My dad gave it to me when I was 16,and I passed it to my son when he was 16. This thread brought back good memories, I wish I could still follow a bird dog.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun is 1/4 choke so I kinda wish someone loaded light Upland Steel loads for the 16ga. I know official verdict seems to be no steel in Browning fixed choke guns made before ca 1975. For those made after that date smaller shot can be used (no BB, BBB, T or F). This one is an old one with stripling on top of barrel to reduce glare, but I do not think occasional upland steel load would do any damage. Anyhow the major drawback is lack of affordable non-tox ammo in 16ga. Nice gun, but I have to do some thinking before putting down some hard earned cash to buy it. Thanks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
I always used 1 1/8 oz loads in mine( 26" IC),and it killed a pick up truck load of game for me. It never failed to operate, regardless of how I had it set. My dad gave it to me when I was 16,and I passed it to my son when he was 16. This thread brought back good memories, I wish I could still follow a bird dog.
Mike

Yes, it brings back memories of better days. That is what attracted me to the gun in the first place. Today reasonably priced guns can't be made that way. Most semi-autos are produced with little or no human touch and have plastic stocks or worse yet look like a pile of leaves and twigs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used 1 1/8 loads in mine also, but it is an overbore load and really not necessary and the heavier Express loads are more punishing to the gun..

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is a Sweet Sixteen its probably fine to shoot with modern loads, but if it a sixteen gauge A-5 it may be an older gun. I have my Grandfather's A-5 16 but it is a '30s gun and I don't shoot it anymore.

There are two ways to set the spring and friction rings. Illustrations are easy to find. I'd set for the heavy load and shoot the lightest load it will eject. If the gun has original 2 3/4 chambers it probably a later model...Geo

P.S.: I'd bet RST's will fail to eject. Number 7 1/2 or smaller steel shot would probably not be a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo:
With all due respect I have to question your above statement. I have a Sweet Sixteen that was made in 1952 and I sure wouldn't shoot anything out of it but lead. Please correct me if I'm in error here.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, please note that I qualified the steel shot answer to size 7 1/2 and smaller. With today's plastic collars I think the barrel gouging concern is a non problem and I don't believe there is any problem with the small shot bridging at the choke like with bigger shot. That said, you are following the Browning advisory by choosing not to shoot steel at all in your own Belgian Browning and you can't go wrong there...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stallones
I have used 1 1/8 loads in mine also, but it is an overbore load and really not necessary and the heavier Express loads are more punishing to the gun..

What is your criteria for Overbore??
If one considers load density or weight per equal SqIn of bore area then 1 1/8oz in a 16 is about equal to;
1 3/8oz in 12ga
1oz in 20ga
3/4oz in 28ga
7/16oz in .410
Even if we include the 1 1/8oz load in the 16 it is probably the least overloaded of the lot. The .410 is of course the most overloaded.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.