March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#419552 09/19/15 09:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There's a new kid in town. The name is Dickinson. She is just a kid, a .410. She moved in on Monday, and today she was on a sunflower/dove field with me. She has 30" barrels, ejectors and is a real sweetie.

We had a great first afternoon together. I missed the first bird that came by, but decked the second, a long shot that ended with a very dead bird, not a cripple. I struggled for awhile with the new gun, then the birds stopped flying on my part of the field, then it all started in earnest.

We ended the day with a limit, handily. I killed a true double with her, my 11th and 12th birds. A right, then a left. That was encouraging. I saw two doves coming toward me and I thought "This is a two-fer". I killed the first with the right barrel, and as soon as I saw the first bird start to fall I swung on the second and killed it quartering away. Very satisfying for a new gun. Heck, for any gun.

We had maybe 12 people shooting this afternoon, and sat around for a long time while the thermometer climbed steadily. Finally, about 3:30 pm we went to the field and took stands. We quit about 5:30 to let the birds come in and feed undisturbed.

Good day. Here's the "pile" of birds.

I am so pleased with the Dickinson double. The two things I was most concerned about turned out to be non-issues, the trigger pulls and regulation. I patterned her this afternoon on the way to the dove shoot, on the side of an old dairy barn milking parlor on my place. The barrels printed 50/50, both right and left, and both were dead on center. The trigger pulls were the other concern, but that was worry for naught, too. I haven't measured them, but they are great. Absolutely a non-issue, probably about 3 1/2#. I put a leather lace-on pad on her this morning, to increase the LOP to suit me, but took it off for most of the pics so you could see the wood figure.

Very high quality for the price, guys. I am pretty discriminating about "new-made" doubles, but the Dickinson exceeds my expectations. The doves didn't care too much for it, tho'.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done, thank you for the report.
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for the report. It looks to be a lot better made gun than my Fox model b 410

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan
That's great!

About how much does it weigh?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck,

The website says 5.5 lbs., but it doesn't specify if that is for 24, 26, 28, or 30 inch barrels. I will report back a bit later with the technical data on actual weight, choke dimensions, etc. But, for now, it's a keeper.

As an aside to the technical stuff, IMO the hardest thing about shooting a .410, for game, is limiting my range. I am so used to killing long doves with 7/8 and 1 oz. of shot with my 20s and light 12s that I just have to remind myself constantly to stay under 35 yards with the little guns. Most of my misses today, and any day I'm "doving" with a .410, is when I try those longer birds. I could shoot a pretty good average on the dove field with it if I could just use more self-restraint.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you like it, Stan. Maybe we can shoot together soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan
Sounds like it's a keeper. They look nicer than the SKB Turks.

Let me know when you head to AZ. I'd like to hook up for a hunt if you're interested.

Last edited by Chuck H; 09/19/15 11:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you like it so much Stan....great guns with great quality IMO.....

Thanks for the phone call, see you this winter....

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, do I remember correctly that you are coming to the Fall Southern? If so, bring "er" along and we will measure the whole shootin' match of handling dimensions.

Very good report and fine photos. Thanks.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 09/20/15 12:36 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am amiss if I do not give Tom Bryant, who posted above, due thanks for the indispensable part he played in my getting this Dickinson. He is the gun library manager at the Cabela's in Sidney, NE ............... as many of you may already know. We talked several times about the possibility of having one ordered with the long barrels, since I knew the Dickinson website showed that as an option. He would return my calls in a timely manner every time, and emails were great help I think, too, in pinning down the details. It was one of my better long distance gun buying experiences.

Thanks again, Tom. Truth is tho', without PA24s prior experience with these guns, and his high praise of them I may never have "bit". When Doug tells you something, you can engrave it in stone.

Don, I do plan to be there all weekend at the Fall Southern and will certainly have it along to shoot in the .410 "hammerless" event. I was actually thinking about us spinning it yesterday evening. Thanks for the offer.

Usually I don't shoot the .410s much after Labor day on doves, preferring to go to a 20. This year is going to be different, I think.

SRH

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.