May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (steve f, NCTarheel, Ken Nelson, eeb, 2 invisible), 237 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,861
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#418748 09/14/15 10:11 AM
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anybody comment on the Allentown Gun Show from the perspective as a double gun enthusiast? Their description seems to emphasize muskets, military, and black guns.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't they all these days?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Boxlock
Boxlock

I used to go to it as a kid, back in the 70s and 80s when my father was a professor at Muhlenberg. All kinds of cool things, there was someone who even sold shrunken heads from New Guinea. I made a return visit about 10 years ago and was sorely disappointed. It always had its share of military-related items, but it seemed that they had taken over. Maybe someone else will weigh in with more recent experience, but based on my last experience, I'd go if it was near home and I had time to kill, but not worth a long trip. For what it's worth, I second F2F's post. Harder and harder to find vintage shotguns at these shows. And when you do they tend to be pretty compromised and way overpriced. Maybe I'm getting too cynical.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is one of the better shows in the north east for vintage guns but is light on double gun dealers. They do have one hall devoted to militaria but the original hall is mostly vintage arms. Never know what you will find there as for doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I go about once a year. It usually has one or two dealers with a nice selection of double guns and a couple who specialize in single shot rifles. Occasionally there may be a nice double walking around over someone's shoulder. Otherwise, it's mostly black guns and old junk, with a healthy hunk of jerky and military surplus thrown in for good measure. Because Forks of the Delaware (the sponsor) is a collectors' organization, there are frequently some very nice collections displayed across the front of the main room. The subject matter varies, but the collections have been consistently well presented. I'm about 1 hour away and I usually add a trip to Cabela's Hamburg, PA store (about another 30 minutes down I-78 from Allentown) when I go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geoffroy Gournet lives about 20 minutes from the show, so if you plan it well you can meet up with him to go over any custom engraving project you might have. That is a bonus for me. Also Craig Libhart of Susquehannah Stockworks goes often. He is a great wood guy and I have had him restore an A,B and an XE Fox for me that all came out spectacular.

I agree with the other comments though. Can be very hit or miss.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.