April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (ClapperZapper, buckstix, dblgnfix, Jimmy W, Ian Forrester, 2 invisible), 592 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,020
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently purchased a W.W. Greener facile princeps G-grade gun in 10-gauge at auction. Serial number puts production around 1912. I don't yet have receipt of the gun, and was wondering if anyone could point me towards either a DGJ article or on-line source of info on Greener's heavy water fowlers. This one has 31" steel barrels but so far I know precious little else. Engraving and case colors appeared very fine and original and hence my unwise purchase of a second 20th century British 10 gauge (the other being a William Ford I posted about a while back.)

Frame and fences are filed up like this one from an earlier Julia's auction, (http://jamesdjulia.com/item/3360-358/)but mine has full engraving, whereas the Julia's piece is totally plain. I haven't seen the proofs either (I know...very rash).

Edit - 9/18/15 Greener is now in hand. Lots of pictures posted below.

Last edited by CJF; 09/18/15 06:13 PM. Reason: Received Greener, added pics
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some pictures from the listing:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try Graham Greener's "The Greener Story". That is a fine looking gun. Two and five eighths inch chambers? Will you shoot ready made or load brass black powder shells for it?...Geo

CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't yet have Graham's book, but since this is my 2nd Greener double, I guess I need to get it.

My hope is this has heavy proofs and long chambers given the long barrels (pics show 31" but not sure yet...will post pics when it arrives.) I would be very surprised if one this late isn't nitro proofed.

So I'm hoping for 1-1/2 oz proofs, but who knows.

Any other suggestions for pics and info on post 1900 10 gauge Greeners? Particularly G-graded ones?

Last edited by CJF; 09/08/15 10:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Email Graham Greener through the Greener wenbsite, in the past he has been very helpful at providing information on particular serial numbers.

Buy the book from him and he will autograph it to you

Is the grade marked on the trigger guard as other FH guns are? (My 16 is marked FH50)

Last edited by old colonel; 09/08/15 10:57 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Try Graham Greener's "The Greener Story". That is a fine looking gun. Two and five eighths inch chambers? Will you shoot ready made or load brass black powder shells for it?...Geo

Just ordered an autographed copy from Safari Press. Thanks.

Last edited by CJF; 09/08/15 11:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A beautiful example of a scalloped boxlock!

Greener 10s also have a place in American history as one of the favorite choices of lawmen in the Old West for riot and guard purposes. Presumably they used much plainer models than yours, and most of them I've seen in pix or museums were hammer guns. (Nothing quite as "sobering" as those two big clicks.....).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think G is not a grade of Greeners, but a symbol as to the action type. The grade in that period would be a number which was actually the price. A G70 would be an Imperial , with G the action type , and 70 guinea gun. A G60 would be a Royal, with the G type action, and a 60 guinea gun. Later , as the prices went up over the years, the number of the grades went up.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/09/15 12:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
. . . Presumably they used much plainer models than yours, . . .

Off topic, but . . .

I have an 1891 Greener. This was basically a barn-find. I had originally planned to restock this gun with a nice English Walnut blank I have. One thing led to another and I decided to refinish the original stock. The old finish was nearly black and I had no idea what to expect or what it would look like under the old finish. I am amazed. The wood has the figure of the photos above. I'm in the process of using the Purdy's Warthog finish. I'll post some pictures when I'm finished.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is a G action the same as Facile Priceps? In my mind they are two entirely different actions although outwardly similar in physical appearance. The insides of a G gun are WAY different from a FP.
Does your new 10 have ejectors?
By the way, it's a beautiful gun. Gorgeous actually. I'm a huge fan of Greeners, remarkably well made and finished, and somewhat under appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.