April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hugh Lomas, Jimmy W, j7l2, PALUNC), 1,095 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,139
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Opinions please, of who you think the engraver was on this Lefever circa 1893.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

No clue who engraved it, but that is a beautiful Lefever!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joseph Glahn and both Spangler's Albert and Wilton did engraving for LeFever. Is there a setter on the other side? Spangler's setters were done very nice.

Last edited by JDW; 09/10/15 09:29 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nudge, You have to get better lite and closer photos for me to hazard a guess.

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JDW,

Yes, the first two pics are of the pointer looking back over his shoulder, kind of like he's reacting to the sound of a shot. The 2nd two pics are of the setter looking up at a falling bird.

I wish I could have taken super close shots, but the only camera I have is my camera phone, and when you try to zoom too close into the details it just get's fuzzy.

I've looked at them real close with a magnifying glass and do not see any obvious initials, but I know some guys are supposed to have hidden them in certain insignia's, etc.

If you (or anyone) can point out the best books for identifying specifically American gun engravers I'd also appreciate it. I know it's a big topic, but maybe just ones which focus on the big guys -- Spangler, Loy, Kraus, Glahn, etc.

- Nudge

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Walt,

Yeah, I can see that now. I'll see if I can borrow a nice camera and photograph them under stronger light...these were done in my workshop under florescents.

OK, so I guess I'm NOT going to be hired at the photographer for the 3rd edition of "The Ithaca Gun Company?" Damnit.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nudge, didn't see the forest through the trees. I did not scroll over to see the others.

In looking at the setter I don't think it was A.E. Spangler, might have been Glahn. Albert Kraus at this time was working for Hunter Arms Gun Co., so was Joseph Glahn. I don't know about the Spangler's still being at Hunter Arms Gun Co. then, but I do know that they both did other work for LeFever.
Maybe Walt can help with other close-up pictures. I tried to Photoshop them and enlarge them but the resolution was too low.

In a presentation Optimus Grade to President Benjamin Harrison, Spangler's name is there.

Joseph Glahn's signature, lower right corner, on a Syracuse L.C. Smith, Quality 6 or 7.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pointer on the right of the OP's first post certainly looks like Joseph Loy's work to me.

That's my final decision...

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DAM16SXS,

Your final decision, huh? You're "jumping for Loy."

*golf clap*

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks for chiming in. As I said to Walt, I will endeavor to get closer more detailed pics and then come back asking again.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

I disagree that this would be LOYs engraving, though I would love opinions or ideas to the idea:

I think LOYs dog are incredible. ( seen mostly on High grade Remington's) they are a great balance of life-like and animated. They have an expression on their face. They also seem to have a very strong brow and heavy jowls. Here are some visuals

Photo 1: top not Loy , bottom Loy ( of course just my thought, no documentation)

Photo 2: Loy setter?

Photo 3: not Loy setter?

Photo 4: not Loy setter ( sorry it is upside down)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.