April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Lloyd3, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 471 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,234
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, the Miller trigger shown is on an Ideal Grade I own. When I first bought the gun years ago, I saw that it had stamped Hunter One Trigger on the trigger plate. Looking at the gun saw that the selector was in the safety, and taking gun apart saw it to be a Miller.
The Hunter One Trigger is on a few of my L.C. Smiths and all work great.
The Infallible I believe is also from an L.C. Smith but do not know who sent it to me.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Converting the gun back to double triggers would require replacing the trigger plate, the Sears and putting in the double triggers and some other parts that would be missing.

Can be done. I have done it to Parkers.
Doing it is not the hard part, it is making the gun look like it was not done that is the hard part.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Millers are gems and I would get it fixed.

One of the nice things about the Miller triggers is that, to my knowledge, they are immune to the tang tightening issues that you see with the HOTs. It is hard to imagine that if the trigger worked at one time, wood would now be an issue. Dirt and crud will kill anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The millers are a simple and reliable single trigger.

The only real issue with miller triggers was some of the crude install work that was done at times over the history of their use.

I have also personally liked the Infallable triggers in that they are a contained unit that drops into the trigger plate. And I like the location of the selectors on top next to the tang.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought Dan and Kenny Waite were partners - has that changed recently?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I have been suffering under the delusion that CSMC had nothing to do with miller triggers. After I had a serious trigger problem with my miller triggered Purdey that they had sent to the US in 1927 when the gun was built for this trigger to be installed. This wonderful old dear was the pigeon shooting getter. After WW2 it ended up in canada where a german gunsmith did a unkind stock and forend job on it. When I bought it I sent it back to england to be totaly rebuilt and restocked by that wonderful purdey exworks stocker Tony Rule. All of the work on the gun blueing recolor case etc was done by Pudey people. In fact when he returned it in Lost Wages, we were at a booth across from purdey's. Their comment was it was better finished than they could possibly do now. Tony could not get the trigger going right so I handed it off to Doug Turnbull as I was told that he had just acquired miller trigger. It was back in a week and its still ticking like my Herschede wall clock. Doug later sold the trigger to the guys that have it now. I had always understood that Doug acquired it from the miller family.
However I am always ready for enlightenment so Ted tell what you know that I have misunderstood. Oh yes I have at last count 10 versions of csmc single triggered products and never a problem.
Regards
John Mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
I'm not sure how we went from CSMC repairing Millers to owning them. I simply have aquaintences that have had them try to repair Millers on occasion.

No go. Have you done better?

One doesn't have to look too far to find reports of problems with CSMC single triggers. Here is one that ended well:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post409100

I am familiar with a few that haven't ended well. One of their Model 21s went back half a dozen times, was never fixed, and the gun came back with more marks then it left with, each time.

That gun went down the road.

Hey, enjoy your guns. The fact that someone specified their Purdey be built with a Miller single trigger in 1927 would seem to speak volumes about what people thought of English single triggers, even back then.

Unless I am mistaken, the OP has had problems with Millers, detailed on this board, going back to 2008 or so. I seem to recall the ICD guns had issues with Millers, and eventually pulled the trigger design and install in-house, not that it changed outcomes for them.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a bit of experience with, and extensive exposure to guns (many were/are Best SLE's) with Miller triggers....

I was in that old shop many years ago , and can attest to the unique character of the Miller 'smiths, pretty much one of a kind guys.....

I always supposed that considering the number of Best,and lesser SLE's that they installed their trigger in, they must have had a 55 gallon barrel full of intercepting sears laying out back somewhere.....

The Miller design, when installed on a Sidelock gun required the removal of the intercepting sears on the locks...... Never was detrimental to performance in my memory, just a quirk in the design.....I asked Howard about it once and he gave me an explanation in few words that he felt covered the question..... 'nuff said.....

Among competition guns of a generation ago the Miller was common...... A gun I owned that resides in the ATA Hall of Fame, a Purdey Pigeon gun was used "extensively" by a Flyer shooting notable for over 25 years, suffered only one episode of balky service in that entire time....

The problem occurred when an " armourer" (not gunsmith) in the armoury in the Barcelona club misunderstood the request for daily cleaning, to include deep cleaning ( removal of the locks etc.)

Fortunately a bit of work in the hotel room in Madrid by another flyer notable put it right there after.

The owner continued on for 20 + more years without incident until retiring it for a more modern gun with a trigger he considered superior.

I feel the presence of a Miller a plus in most cases, fully understanding the prejudices of those who decry any alteration to a fine gun.... But.... competitive shooters and collectors do think along somewhat different lines....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dean, it seems that Dan and Kenny are still partners according to the website. I have a small bag of Miller equipped guns as well as a smaller bag of Infallible guns and all work and have worked well. I even have an Infallible Lindner hammer gun that was shooting competition pigeons and trap 100 years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

" A gun I owned that resides in the ATA Hall of Fame, a Purdey Pigeon gun was used "extensively" by a Flyer shooting notable for over 25 years, suffered only one episode of balky service in that entire time...."

Would that have been the inimitable Billy Perdue's Purdey? He shot one for 21 years at box birds.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.