March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I enjoy studying pictures of gunmakers workbenches. In the July/August issue of Shooting Sportsman that just arrived there is an article on Watson Brothers by Douglas Tate. On p 66 in the upper left corner is a picture of a workbench with lots of tools on the bench and in racks behind the bench. To the left of vise on top of the bench there is a micrometer and a screwdriver. To the left of them is a round rod that is maybe 3/4" to 1" in diamter and maybe 3" or 4" long with larger diamter round discs at each end. Looks like it might be brass. Can anyone identify what that tool is? What is it used for? A hand held tapper or hammer?

Forester

Sidelock
Sidelock

Though I cant see it,I was thinking the business end of some kind of dent raiser.but the larger end disc say nah
How about something to do with the bbl "hollows" on a for-end...as in a kinda handy bbl diameter prop, to help as a rough sizing aid when shaping out those bbl channels
pretty tough ( but fun ) to guess without a pic, can you get one up ?...picture, that is,lol
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 06/21/15 03:48 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forester you have good eyes I missed that, I also love bench photos.
A wild guess would be a chamber gauge the 4 bore brass is 4 inch's long, it looks to be about that long.
Here is another tool I am wondering about.
In that same photo just behind the vice is a vertical rod.
In the photo on page 67 is the same vertical rod in the lower right.
I was wondering if it was hold the barrels when you are not working on them, so they are not laying on the bench being safer standing up.
Gary

Last edited by Gary R; 06/21/15 09:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

gary, that link doesn't gets me to a pic of a bench, should it?
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

i have no guess- but why would a chamber gauge have raised ends like that?

Sidelock
Sidelock

sorry link was not to photo.

Last edited by Gary R; 06/21/15 09:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Without the photo, this is only a guess.The description of the tool seems to be of a scraper for inletting a forearm.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was with the photographer (Matt Brown) when the shop pics were taken. That is Michael Louca's bench, sited where he can literally 'oversee' his craftsmen. If you'd like, Forester, I could ask him, or if Douglas Tate sees this post perhaps he can?

Michael may not get the mag for a week or two though.

Good question.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I also saw what Gary R identified to the right of the vise and wondered what it was. I note there is a rack of barrels on the wall in the picture, but I like the idea of a stand to hold barrels vertically on the bench.

After looking at the photos again, with all the hand tools on Michael Louca's bench, I do not see a typical hammer anywhere. There is nothing in either picture with a hammer handle on it. Does that says something interesting about the techniques and knowledge of a British gunmaker?

If we could get an answer from Douglas Tate or Michael Louca that would be very interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have forwarded Forester's question to Mike.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.