March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#406738 06/14/15 11:19 AM
oskar Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We know about bird hunting in the UK and Spain and the great shotguns that are built there for that. I have never read about wing shooting in central Europe othernthan ducks and pheasants in Hungary but we have a proliferation of beautiful shotguns from Germany. But as beautiful and well built as they are most have impossibly tight chokes and rather cumbersome looking cheek rests as if they were meant to be aimed at game.

I have a couple of drillings that I hunt furred game with and have shot a couple of ducks and pheasants with and shot a fair round of trap with, they feel like the shots are more deliberate than with a true bird gun. I would like to get a nice Sauer or Simmson to case with my Sauer drilling but wonder if it would end up just being a shotgun only version of my drilling.

A little insight to wing shooting/shotgun use in Germany would be helpful.

Thank You
Oskar

Last edited by oskar; 06/14/15 11:37 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One point I read on another board, possibly the German gun one, was that Ol'Fritz preferred to carry his gun around slung. By the time it was mounted, the birds tended to be farther away, needing tighter chokes.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oakar going back many years ago while in Germany in the service I had the pleasure to hunt there. I got to know a German who worked on our post as a fireman and his father owned quite a bit of land. I had just bought out of our gun club a Remington 11-48 in .410 with a imp.cyl. choke. I told him about it and said what are you going to kill with that? He shot a Franchi 20 gauge and I told him I could kill as much with the .410 as his 20 gauge.
Since there is a large selection of game there, including 10 lb. hares, foxes, pheasants, Hungarian partridge and roe deer, I can see where the tighter chokes would be used.
In order to hunt in Germany at my time there you needed 400 acres and you needed a dog that would retrieve game, and if water on the property had to also retrieve in water.
Sunday mornings the family meaning my friend and his son, his father would hunt along a stream and then into some plowed fields for hares. The afternoon was devoted for some townspeople to join in the hunt for Hungarian partridge, pheasant and any hares kicked up. Most all shot doubles or drillings and not sure of the chokes. All game went to land owner for sale in town. Don't know about now.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wasn't the preferred method of hunting capercaillie to stalk them and shoot them off a limb? Seems I read that in an old book of mine. That would make tight chokes very important.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oskar,

I have a number of drillings and most all are Full & Full or Full & Full+ choked. I have also had a number of German doubles which were also choked F&F or F&F+. Some of the more recent German Doubles, just picked up a Merkel 147E which appears to have M&F (haven't miked the barrels yet this is just checking with the in the muzzle gauge).

At the risk of being labeled sacrilegious, one thought would be to have the chokes in the drilling opened for wing shooting. Or find a German SXS you like and shoot well and have the chokes in that opened if it doesn't fit your style of hunting.

Just one persons thoughts...

Don

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oskar,
I have a 16 gauge Simson that is a very nice handling upland bird gun. It originally had a cheek piece stock but handled quite well. It had too much drop for me so I did restock it. The chokes were 0.043" in both barrels! Extra full and extra full. I have opened it to 0.013 and 0.023 (LM/IM) for open plains hunting.

I've never fully understood the crazy tight chokes, but my gun was built as a nice handling gun for wing shooting. I'm toying with finding a German 16 gauge o/u and just doing a butt stock transplant with a cheek piece made to fit me. These German 0/U can be nice light guns around 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 pounds. Are you in WI or WA now? I'll be at Medford next week with my Simson if you want to shoot it.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 06/14/15 07:59 PM.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking piece of German gunmaking there, JNW. Who did the restocking? They did not embarrass themselves, to say the least.

I had a Merkel 203 12 ga for awhile - very nice handling gun. Mike Orlen solved the choke issue and the gun proved to be a very good shooter.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

With modern loads light modified would be about perfect upland game choke.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll side with the late T. Nash Buckingham for tighter chokes- in his great article "The Dove"- he states: "You've about had all the thrills wingshooting can offer when you crumple up an overhead passing dove with the full pattern of your load"-- You don't get that "crumple" and the float of feathers after the deceased bird hits the ground, and hopefully, bounces once or twice from the impact of the deadfall-- like it flew into a brick wall at Mach 3- wowie!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nash and I were on the same page concerning doves.

Was that article published in the seven volume set of his books? I would really like to read it (again?).

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.