Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first thought was yes! Because I do believe in sharing how to information because if you dont it will eventually disappear. Then a second thought crept in, there always seems to be someone prepared to pick holes with what you say or they come up with a sideways swipe at you for what I see as no other reason other than you are a Brit. My feeling is life now is far too short for this type of one upmanship, because of this do I really want to give hard won information away. Or maybe I am getting a thinner skin in my old age?
My jury is still out but on balance I may give it a try and see what happens.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The decorum of Constructive Criticism must be enforced. This includes petty squabbles over semantics and lexicons. If someone truly wants to practice "One Upmanship", they'd better be prepared to make their case and deliver the goods, in a polite, factual, documented way. There's already way too much of that on the Net in general, the anonymity makes it easy to make subjective, negative comments in order to feed egos.

There is clearly a difference between subjective criticism and constructive critique. People unable to communicate in a polite, respectful manner appropriate for adults simply should not post.

Perhaps I'm looking at the potential of this Forum the same way I look at doubles in need of Restoration. I think of what it could be, a collection of information validated by the expertise and experience of others, the premier source on the internet. I think that so much information will be available, it'd be a crime to load it up with extraneous pap and claptrap.

Last edited by Ken61; 06/07/15 09:23 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I think it is a great idea. I do most of my own work. Some quite nice and some not so much! I sometime Get praise ; sometime not so much. I hope this will be a place where we can tell about and show our successes and our failures. Our posts could show a better way to do something or a way not to do it. Some readers will not like some articles, or will know a better way to accomplished what is shown. Anyone should accept constructive comments But please; no ridicule.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leave it here! If we keep moving special interests out to sub-forums there'll be little left to read in the main forum...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get what damascus said about having holes picked in one's suggestions or methods, but it must be remembered that while there may only be one correct finish for a lower grade Parker restoration, there may be dozens of ways to temper a spring or remove a stuck screw. The tiny minority who might not recognize the British contribution to double gun development aren't worth the powder to blow them up.

Ken, I've suggested you buy the four volumes of Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks knowing your interest in repair and restoration. I'd kind of like to see this sub-forum become almost a digital version of that, mostly devoted to doubles. In every subsection of the Kinks books, whether it be blueing, stock finishing, checkering, engraving, machining, etc., there are dozens of tips and techniques and different methods used by different gunsmiths. So much of the information is applicable to other things besides gun work. It is up to the reader to decide which sounds best or most feasible.

I'm always concerned about amateur gunsmiths who don't know their own limitations and screw up guns worse than they were before their well intended repair or restoration, but you'll always have that.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

I'm always concerned about amateur gunsmiths who don't know their own limitations and screw up guns worse than they were before their well intended repair or restoration, but you'll always have that.

Amen to that one!

This forum saved me from making what I'd now consider obvious mistakes. I had to dig here and across the web, but I had the patience to do it. Other's may not, so consolidation of information here would hopefully result in old doubles not being "Buggered" by a lack of knowledge.

I can imagine threads like: "I'm considering buying an Old Double, what condition points should I look at?" and "Now I've bought my first Old Double, what should I do?".

Take the example of proper Screwdrivers/Turnscrews. Understanding their necessity and proper use is paramount, something a newbie may not realize. Think of all the guns out there that have been damaged by using improper tools.

Thanks, SDH, your method of making'em is awesome. I haven't bought your book YET, I'm waiting for when I meet you in person. I consider myself obligated to do so.

Keith, I've got the first "Gunsmith Kinks" book on the way..

Last edited by Ken61; 06/07/15 02:43 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
The decorum of Constructive Criticism must be enforced..... People unable to communicate in a polite, respectful manner appropriate for adults simply should not post.

Should this not apply to every forum?

Wishing it to be will not make it a reality. Making it against the law may give us the means to deal with it, but it doesn't prevent it's happening.

Watch the news... anonymity is an invitation to rampant disrespect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Keith, I've got the first "Gunsmith Kinks" book on the way..

Ken, I predict you'll be very happy with it. When I loaned my volumes to a friend who got into sporterizing Mausers a few years back, he returned them to me after a couple months and told me he was giving them back now because he realized that he needed to order his own set or he would never return mine. Of all the gunsmithing books I have, I think I've gotten more out of the Kinks books than any others. I searched long and hard and paid over $100.00 for a copy of the out of print and oft-recommended "Amateur Gunsmithing" by Mills and Barnes. What a disappointment!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems like a good idea, though one more forum to remember to visit.

Of course someone will need to dig up all of the old, old threads by Oscar and Russ Ruppel.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Leave it here! If we keep moving special interests out to sub-forums there'll be little left to read in the main forum...Geo

And this assumes all will follow it to where ever it's moved. A possible new forum could have its own unique topics, but I think the decision by a poster to put a project in a different forum should be respected and just linked to a new forum.

If a diy forum is a small club for home smiths, why would a best gun smith want their thread moved out of the view of those who they believe are their audience/potential customers. There're times I think it is fortunate to get some interesting info, I still don't think we should make it too difficult.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.