May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Themauserkid, 1 invisible), 263 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,971
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#398406 03/22/15 09:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did a search here but it took me to the Double Guns Forum and I couldn't find anything. Do any of you have information on the Luft brothers gunsmithing out of Spokane,WA? Especially their names and when they had their shop. Were thy written up in on of Michael's books? Thanks.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the early 80's I went to Spokane to visit an uncle who was close friends with Al Biesen, we went to visit Al. While there I remember some of the conversation was about the Luft brothers. I don't remember if they were still in business at the time but I think not. Seems to me they worked up to the 60's. Also while at Al's shop he had a Borchardt there that was done by Luft. As I was very interested in single shots and it was one of the first Borchardts I had seen. It was very nice as I remember but sadly the detail escape me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Lynn,
Maybe it was this one! I would really like to see how they handled the trigger with a top tang safey. I also like the idea of a separate trigger guard although I would have had the lever tang moved a little closer to the grip and a little shorter. The panels sure give the action a smaller look. I always admire people that can visualize those kinds of changes. Smiths like the Lufts, Neidner, Zischang and the Freund brothers. They could take a clubby action and make it into art.
http://www.amoskeagauction.com/105/36.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did a google search and found the information in the link below. Not much, but it looks like the names listed.

There were a few old guys in my hometown in N ID, that would go to Spokane once or twice a week to drink coffee and visit with the proprietors of gunshops and gunsmiths in Spokane. I suspect one in particular, probably knew the Luft Bros, but he has been deceased for a number of years.

http://firearmsaccessorydepot.com/pages/about-us

Last edited by Cameron; 03/22/15 10:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,
The Luft brothers were Carl and Harry and I had the good fortune to meet them in 1976 when at Fairchild AFB for altitude chamber recertification.

Jay Frazier, an Alaskan friend, thought I might like to meet them when I was in Spokane and he set up the introduction. Carl had swaged some .375 bullets to .366” for the 9.3x74R and Jay asked me to bring them back. At the time 9.3 bullets were not common and Carl thought the Speers were too fragile to be of practical use.

Here are two photos that Carl sent me after I purchased one of their Borchardts that Harry had made. Harry was the gunmaker of the duo and to my knowledge Carl did no gunsmithing. As you can see they were not young men when these were taken, they were bachelors and I think this contributed to their longevity, as well as a big gun collection and what seemed a general contentedness with life.

Carl and Harry

Harry

When I visited them they had maybe six or seven Harry Luft Borchardts in a rack and all had extensive modifications. Mine has an octagon barrel with a full length top rib which is nicely matted. It has a beautifully reshaped lever, tang safety, a four cartridge butt trap and an early Voigtlander Panskopar 31/2 to 6x variable scope in levered quick release mounts made by Harry. Carl said that this is the only variable scope of this age that they had ever seen. Continental guns were a speciality for them. It is a 9.3x74R and I took a bison with it in 1991 near Delta Junction, Alaska.

I saw a Luft Borchardt on Guns International about 10 years ago and contacted the seller to see if they knew anything about the Lufts. He wasn’t much interested but the photos of the rifle showed most of the same features as mine but it had a Monte Carlo cheek piece. I think this was one of the last of the rifles that Harry built in 1983.

The first double rifle I had seen built on a shotgun action was Harry’s. It was a .45-70. They had a number of Heeren rifles also the likes of which that I had never seen before.

One of the photos shows a nice collection of Native American tools and spear and arrow heads. These were collected on the ranch along the Columbia River.

Interestingly, Harry did stock work but did no checkering. Jay moved to Spokane before coming to Alaska so that he could be near Al Biesen and learn as much about gunmaking as he could from him. This is how he met Carl and Harry. All of the Luft Borchardts on hand during that time were checkered by Jay.

I learned a bit of their history from them and some from Jay. They were born in Eastern Washington and their dad had a ranch on the Columbia River and also owned a theater(s) in Spokane. I have another photo of a meat rack in a camp about 100 miles north of Spokane with a number of large white tailed deer. Ironically, this is where the Air Force conducted its basic survival school and I was there in 1971 after graduating from navigator school. We spent three days in a simulated POW camp, mostly alone in a very small box and then we were put out to fend for ourselves for another three days in the woods. It was a relief, the country was beautiful and I can see in retrospect why they had a hunting camp there.

I corresponded with Carl for some time and still have the letters. Harry went to a nursing home at some point and shortly after that Carl starting disposing of the many guns and other things they had collected. I believe Harry was 93 when he died and Carl some years later. Carl had been slowly losing his vision and was blind when he died. I used 24 and then 36 point fonts on the computer in letters before he could no longer read. He wrote with a thick-nibbed felt tip marker so that he could see what he was writing.

Michael knew some of the Luft history and had handled guns made my Harry. We had a Borchardt day some time ago and he admired the work in Harry’s rifle

If there is any interest in the contents of the letters related to guns and shooting I’ll go through them and sort some of it out to post.
Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 03/23/15 09:59 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Cameron and Dennis. Cameron, I got in touch with Rob Luft through that link you posted and he told me the names of the two brothers. They were his dad's cousins. My father grew up with two Luft brothers and one of them moved to Washington either right before or after WWII. I was wondering if he could have been one of them. Turns out, that he's not.
Dennis, thanks for all the info that you have. They must have lead some colorful lives and Harry appears to have been an excellent smith.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about a picture of your rifle Dennis?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
Here are some images of the rifle. Since there is little information regarding Harry Luft's guns I have included photos of the markings that he used. The left side of the barrel includes a "H.C.LUFT" stamp also and the caliber "9.3 X 74" which I have not photographed. This may be useful to others who are trying to identify a Harry Luft rifle.

I think some of Harry's guns were stocked by others and am guessing that his mark on the forearm and buttstock indicates that he did the stock work. Jay and I arrived in Alaska in the same year, 1975, and since this rifle is stamped "6-80" it appears that the metal work was finished in June 1980. I know the checkering on this rifle is Jay's but would have had to be completed after his move up here.

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 03/26/15 04:57 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

The lever on that rifle is very graceful. Nice work.
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice rifle Dennis ... reminds me of a German single-shot stalking rifle.

I especially like the replacement of the original lever with a separate triggerguard and lever similar to some Farquharsons.

... Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.