Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#397055 03/10/15 05:40 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not to put too finer point on things the old enemy age is really rushing to catch me up now and over the last eighteen months my right elbow and shoulder decided enough was enough, the elbow decided to suffer Cubital tunnel problem and my pinched shoulder joint joined the elbow in sympathy. Being right handed this has put a total stop to all my shooting activities, it is now some months after the operations to correct things so my thoughts turned to picking up a gun again. So off to my local gun club with a selection of guns to see if the elbow and shoulder are getting back to their usual selves. They do say in every life a little rain must fall, well it was my turn for the thunder storm and what a storm it was! Even with much reduced loads I was suddenly woken up to the fact that my guns of preference side by sides where all far to light and not fitted with recoil pads and until this visit to the club the absence of a recoil pad on a gun was never a problem. Unpalatable though it may be a heavier gun with a recoil pad was needed to reduce felt recoil, I do have a heavy under and over weighing some seven and half pounds, which I bought in a moment of weakness from a shooting partner of mine the late Blaster Bates I am sure some of the Brit readers of this forum will have listened to him at one time or another though I have no idea of this guns age. The gun has been used by my sons over the years well the old mans side by sides no matter who the makers are have very little street credibility next to an under and over in their eyes, so it was their choice for rough shooting and the occasional clay breaking sessions. Heavily used before I purchased it and regularly used in the intervening years and now found to be lacking in the external look after me department so now in need of some t.l.c.

The gun in question is a vintage 12 bore Baikal Model IJ I2 proudly proclaiming made in the now defunct USSR with 2 inch chambers with Birmingham proof marks 28 inch un ventilated top rib barrels also in its favour it closes up like a well fitting bank vault door, perfect bores choking in each barrel with double triggers like all of my other guns though it is non-ejector. Well a lot of clubs these days dont want you ejecting cases to the four winds they want them in the receptacle next to the stand.
My I intentions are to smarten it up a little though bearing in mind it is as nearly valueless as a gun can get in view of its age lacking ejectors and of course its maker.
The must do things on the gun are.
Repair the crack in the stock adjacent to the to the slide safety which does go through the stocks head from top to bottom although it has been there since I acquired the gun. The cracks orientation is very often found in a stocks head after the guns cast has been altered with rather a lot of applied force.

Replace the hard but plate with a 20mm rubber recoil pad which will extend the length of pull from 14 inches.to a little over 15 inches.
Reshape the wood each side of the stocks head to improve the guns line though this is purely a matter of my personal taste.
Improve the metal to wood fit where possible.
It goes without saying refinish the wood because the old finish is oxidised to the point the woods figuring is almost invisible also remove those yellowed white plastic spacers between the wood and butt plate and the wood and pistol grip cap they are just not me! Along the same lines I intend to fit the ubiquitous silver oval in the stock even though the makers thought such a low value gun did not warrant one. Contrary to all the rumours about old railway sleepers the wood used on this Baikal is Manchurian Walnut (Juglans Mandshurica) its not rich dark and beautiful though sound enough for a gun stock also I do want to see what traditional Red Oil will do for this rather hard nondescript walnuts looks.
Retouch the bluing I really do not want to do a complete gun re-blue so I will see how much they have improved cold bluing formulas though my thoughts may change when it comes to actually doing it.
So I will be starting the work tomorrow and will let you all know how it progresses.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, over three years ago I started reloading 12 gauge shells with 3/4 oz. loads. I did this because of shooting vintage sxs and the other is in reducing recoil.
A recoil pad reduces some but I hate recoil pads on vintage guns, not that I don't have any with them but I don't like them.

The lighter loads really are nice to shoot and I load them with our size number 8's. I use them for skeet, sporting clays and the few times I shoot trap. No problem breaking them at the 16 yard line. Like the saying goes, if I do my job, they do theirs.

Try some, I know you will like them.
I use TiteWad powder, but Red Dot is also good. The psi is under 7500 and around 1050 fps. I'm sure these powders are available over there.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have taken to wearing a PAST harness and pad beneath my shooting jacket or gilet.
The Browning Reactar pads work well too. Both are about 1/2 inch thick, and essentially unnoticeable. The Reactar pads are commonly in discount bins.

I am sorry for your unfortunate shoulder problems.

Since turn about is fair play, Please tell me which shooting jacket in the 70 lb class is preferred, WWK, Hoggs of Fife, or Lavenir? I cannnot try on before ordering, so it's one of those three. My SIL, being a Hogg, has her own unwanted opinion. TIA, and good comfortable shooting.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been shooting trap with a Parker three frame VH12 with 34" barrels. It weighs nine pounds and six ounces. I am shooting factory 1-1/8 oz loads at about 1150 fps through it. Feels about like shooting a 22.

I do pre-mount it. I am sure that this is not the gun for FITASC.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

go buy a gas auto and your good to go....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to keep shooting 12 bore side by sides, two things may help. They really helped me.
One, reduce the shot weight, get some Gamebore 2 1/2" 21 gram cartridges, great patterns and low recoil.
Second, try an Evo-shield recoil shirt. About $60 USD, no stock modifications, it uses a thin, air hardening armor pad to custom fit your gun's butt to your shoulder area. Same recoil force, but spread out evenly over a MUCH larger surface area. There's a good write up here,
http://www.chuckhawks.com/evo-shield_shirt.htm
I hope these two simple suggestions can help you get back to using your guns of choice!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, sorry to read of your trouble with your shoulder and elbow. Bleedin' annoying!

I have a recoil pad on my English 12 and use 28g No 7 or 6 shot for most of my driven game shooting here in the UK. Recoil is not an issue for me - but then my body is holding out well, so far!

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

So let me clear things up, you can't put a recoil pad on an English Best?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got the impression he plans to migrate to a Baikal w/a cracked stock, and wanted suggestions befitting it's state and economy.

A quality pad beneath his vest should provide excellent impact relief while he recovers. Using his "Soviet Best" may hasten his recovery as well.

Out there doing it best I can.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a big fan of the Evoshield Shooting Shirt. It has a UK presence in Ireland. http://evoshield-ireland.com/shooting---hunting.php

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.