April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gr8day Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not a dealer by any stretch, but I occasionally (1-2 times a year) buy a gun that qualifies as a C&R. Is there any reason not to get the license. It would be cheaper and a heckuva lot more convenient for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

easy enough to get, $30 for 3 years,you have to be able run your bound book-again easy. Some sellers won't take it but you find enough to spend you money with.

here is the form you have to fill out

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a few dealers who will not ship to C&R, for no real reason other than they don"t like to ship to anyone other than FFL for ease of "remaining" within the law or what they think of as the law. Also make sure your local LEO is not a jerk about the C&R.

I did have a on going problem with my local LEO who thought that because I had a C&R he should be able to check in on me anytime he wanted for no legit reason. Bit of a over bearing jerk about it. I kept records as required and complied with all rules and laws but he was a pain in the a--. He wanted to know everything I had and why I had to have so much ammo and so many guns.

About four months after I gave my C&R up he returned for his "inspection" and I "suggested" he might want to get a warrant because he had no "right" to hassle me under a no longer valid C&R. After threatening to arrest me, to which I laughed, he claimed he had lifetime rights to inspect my collection. When he realized I was not going to give in he did call for backup and seeing a second police car in my driveway my next door neighbor, the town mayor, came over to see the situation. At that point the mayor told the chief LEO that they, the town attorney had told him previously that he could not do what he wanted to do. they got into a bit of a shouting match about it and the LEO left in a huff. That has been several years and I have not had anymore dealing with the LEO but he was a jerk. So just make sure your LEO is reasonable instead of a egomaniac with delusions of being the second coming of J. Edgar Hoover, unless he looks good in a red dress. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

LEO has NO say in the ATF approval of a C&R FFL,in fact he can't examine the bound book OR your home without a warrant !
Your LEO was way out of the bound of the law !

The ATF is the only one who can do a compliance inspection and thats once a year (unless there is

"a licensee you are required to display your license on your licensed premises, to maintain certain required books and records accurately, and to submit to a compliance inspection of your licensed premises, your inventory and your required records as often as once annually.

The only firearms records which you are required by law to maintain, and to submit for inspection, are an acquisition and disposition book (your bound book), original BATF Forms 4473, Firearms Transaction Record for each firearm sold, original BATF Forms 5300.35 Statement of Intent to Obtain a Handgun(s) (the Brady Act form), and your retained copies (copy 4) of BATF Forms 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers for each multiple sale of handguns. Special occupational taxpayers may also be required to produce their Forms 2, 3, 5, 6 and 10 for firearms on hand. There may be additional state law records required of a dealer, but BATF has no jurisdiction over these records and arguably no jurisdiction to inspect them.

When a BATF inspector shows up for a compliance inspection, require credentials to be displayed by everyone present and note the full name of the inspector(s) in writing. Never permit a special agent or a state or local or non-BATF federal official to participate in a compliance inspection. These individuals have no authority under the inspection laws

https://gunowners.com/batf.htm

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, I believe you have a few things wrong in your statement unless I am reading something wrong, one is "LEO has NO say in the ATF approval of a C&R FFL,in fact he can't examine the bound book OR your home without a warrant !"
If he doesn't sign it you are not getting it, and you have to give him a copy of the new license every time you re-new.

Second one is "Firearms Transaction Record for each firearm sold" On my C&R license in bold letters above License Responsible person line is This License Does Not Authorize the Holder to Engage in the Business of Dealing in any Firearms. I believe Dealing means selling.

Let me know if I am wrong.

Also on my last form that I filled out for my new C&R, states that all NEW Responsible Applicants must submit prepared FD-258 (Fingerprint Card) with this application. Also a 2"x 2" full face photograph.

Last edited by JDW; 02/26/15 04:43 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've recently given some thought to the C&R route.

Seems like all my local gunshops have gone crazy. I bought a shotgun on GunBroker this week and went by my usual gunshop/sporting goods store which has supplied me with FFLs for years. When I asked for an FFL copy to send the seller, they balked and said they had to handle it dealer to dealer and that the selling FFL had to initiate contact with them.

I explained that I had no idea whether the seller was an FFL or just an individual. Their answer to that was that they could not provide a copy of their FFL to an individual.

I decided that they were just tired of my business, and went to another store. Got the same rigmarole. I finally went to a pawnshop and the owner was thrilled to hand me a signed and dated copy of his FFL to send the seller. I asked whether he was inspected by the same ATF agents as the other two stores I had visited, and he said yes of course and that the other guys didn't know what they were talking about.

Is there some change in effect that I should know about?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"There are a few dealers who will not ship to C&R, for no real reason other than they don"t like to ship to anyone other than FFL for ease of "remaining" within the law or what they think of as the law. Also make sure your local LEO is not a jerk about the C&R."

Every argument I heard from one of these dealers was all smoke. The BOTTOM line is a C&R licensee cuts into their revenue and that's the real sticking point with them. I've told every dealer with this attitude that I won't do business with them.

Quote:
"Dave, I believe you have a few things wrong in your statement unless I am reading something wrong, one is "LEO has NO say in the ATF approval of a C&R FFL,in fact he can't examine the bound book OR your home without a warrant !"
If he doesn't sign it you are not getting it, and you have to give him a copy of the new license every time you re-new.
"
You are in error. You just have to indicate on the application that you've sent a copy to the CLEO. He Does NOT sign off on it. You are confusing a Class 3 full auto transfer application where the CLEO does sign off with getting a C&R license.
Jim

Last edited by James M; 02/26/15 04:58 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not worth having. Pay a dealer 40-50 per gun to do the transfer since you are only 1-2 guns per year

Why mess with it for a couple of bucks

John Boyd
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, I had thought on my original form I had to have it signed by the local law enforcement officer.
This time I just gave him a copy.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its all a pain these days...CR lic and you have to keep records and bend over for inspection...purchase online without CR and its 30-50 for ffl...30-50 shipping and wait for all this crap to take place...about a week to 10 days b4 you even see the gun...Im glad I can still purchase from individuals at the gun shows around here cash and carry....that's a free country all the rest is BS...

gunut
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.