May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 617 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually, the M10 isn't that tough to figure out. Gunflint & Mr. Harm, thank you for the video references, but I'd already looked at them a while back (if I have any questions about a gun anymore, I go to YouTube and see what's on there about them). The support group I need is one that will help me stop dragging these old relics home with me. I can't seem to help myself, when I see a decent old gun (and for little or no money!) I end up with it somehow.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/24/15 11:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The U was a model code used by Remington.

The 1894 was P, the 1900 was Q, the Autoloading Shotgun was V, and the Repeating Shotgun was U.

Will

And the code or the Model 17 was BO --

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hmmm, my 1929(?) M17 action has no "BO" or even a serial number on the bottom of the action. The good folks at Remington seem to have been very inconsistent over the years.

Speaking of inconsistency, I also, popped the stock off of the M10 tonight and dropped the still assembled action into some nice garage-chilled diesel fuel for an extended soak to, hopefully, soften (& dissolve?) years of accumulated dirt and hardened lubricants (oh, if only I had a nice, warm, ultrasonic cleaner...). I then dragged the front half of this old turkey shooter over to my big lighted magnifier for a closer look at the hidden serial numbers reportedly out of sight on the bottom of the barrel. By moving the slide arm out of the way they can barely be seen, and.....this barrel is numbered to the action with the very same SN. If this is, indeed, a circa 1925 gun then why no date codes on the barrel? I'm perplexed.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/24/15 11:08 AM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Lloyd,

Is the barrel address 2 lines or 3?

Are you sure it says "Remington Arms Co., Ilion, NY", and not "Remington Arms Co., Inc., Ilion, NY"?

Will

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will:

It has only two lines of stampings, and does include the "Inc." (sorry, I missed that distinction earlier). So, according to the information Researcher provided on M-10 naming conventions, that indicates 1920 and on, right? I still don't understand why the barrel isn't date coded.

FWIW: the overnight soak in diesel has done wonders for it. I may not even need to tear it down now as it really wasn't that dirty, just "gummy" for lack of a better description (old gun oil and fine Colorado dust combined). It functions as smoothly now as I hoped it would. Not quite an M31, but not bad. With the stock still off of it, I'll scrub what I can with a small soft bristle brush, hit it with an air-drying solvent to drive out any traces of diesel, and then lube it a bit and call it good. No sense turning screws that don't need it.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/24/15 11:31 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Different view. Storage in a dry climate has some upsides, it seems. Little to no corrosion anywhere that I can find (I wish the little M17 I found up in Maine looked this good after 90-years). The wood is even a bit better than I'm used to seeing. Like I mentioned earlier, minimal use and benign neglect in a dry climate.

The big question now is what the heck am I going to do with it? Full-choke, 30-inch barreled 12-bores aren't normally called-for in my routines, and I don't know of any "Turkey Shoots" nearby.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/25/15 12:17 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

During the 1920s, Remington Arms Co., Inc. moved their Remington TRADE MARK logo off the action bar and put it on the side of the receiver along with the model number. Pretty soon they quit using the BO and moved the serial number to the side of the receiver as well.

They were not very consistent on where they stamped things on the left side of the receivers either --

I suspect the serial numbers and logos on Model 10s did some similar moving during the 1920s, but I haven't studied it.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate all of your help on this one Researcher, thank you so much, yet again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, you could start a beer drinking league that has a trap shooting problem, since you now have a great gun for that kind of thing.

The trap shooting, I mean.

Best,
Ted

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted: I don't know how a guy who really loves (and mostly shoots) double guns ended up with so-many old pump guns (about the only thing I don't have at the moment is a sub-gauge 520 variant). I guess they make for good entertainment during the gloomy winter months and keep me occupied. What will likely happen is that I'll run across some dainty little exotic side-by-side somewhere, that really rolls my socks down, and I'll need to raise a war-chest to finance it. It won't result in a yard sale, but I will likely move most of them to fund some other project.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/26/15 12:51 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.