April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, Fudd, eightbore, buckstix, 2 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,175
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#394423 02/15/15 07:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm trying to decide whether to keep a percussion double I recently purchased. I love it, it's one of England's top 5 makers, yet the left(Damascus) barrel has 3 pits about 3 inches from the breech. Although none of the other Damascus barreled percussion weapons I own have any pits of consequence, most have none and those that do just a spatter near the muzzle.

Of course the location of the pits on this new weapon is of consequence, but only one of the three seems alarming. It is fairly large, like a small chip was dug out of the barrel. I know a photo is called for but unfortunately I can't provide that.

Supposedly the previous owner(s) took the gun out every bird season, but the last season was in 1968. Unfortunately I cannot measure the wall thickness there without removing the breech and that's not going to happen either.

Although, of course, nobody can tell me whether this barrel is safe or not, especially sight unseen, I instead am appealing to owners of muzzleloaders that might have had a similar situation, and what their experience with loads of BP used, etc. was/is.

Thanks for any contributions

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since you have not removed the breech plug, can we assume these are external pits? If so, what is the depth of the one you are most concerned about? It would be nice to at least use a bore scope to examine if there is internal pitting in the same neighborhood. I don't know of any wall thickness gauge that could give you an accurate measurement that far from the muzzles.

I suppose you could make a judgement call then, and do a little "American Proofing" with the gun tied in a tire, very stout load, and long string on the triggers while hiding behind a large tree. But as with any proofing, failure won't do anything for the resale value.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

American proofing is common practice here as well.
I tend to proof with three shots out of each barrel with a 50% increased load. tied securely to tyres. Obviously can't make any promises but non of mine have blown.

Its hard to get an idea of depth of the pits are that you are looking at. Many muzzle loaders in the uk still in regular use are well pitted though the length of the barrels and are shot without any problems. The worst barrel set of mine is not particularly great pitted throughout the length and it does fine but they are a meaty barrel set.

Speaking to an old collector friend of mine who has seen all kinds of guns being shot he tells that the worst guns he has seen regularly shot have holes rusted clean through the bore through a combination of internal and external pitting and non concentric boring apparently if its in the last 6 inches of barrel you can get away with it.

I know of another individual who removed the ribs of a gun to fine little holes between the barrels who promptly patched these up with his welder and he certainly shot that.

Proofing will satisfy your curiosity either way, so its always worth it. Be safe.

Another thing i have always been told by the old boys is 50:50 volume loads, Same volume of shot to powder. Use properly fitting wads and even light loads can be effective on game ( lightest shot charge i use is 26grams and the heaviest 30 )

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 02/15/15 08:40 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith - good call. I forgot to mention that I did drop a bore light down. didn't see any inside pitting anywhere, but then again it was hard to get enough of a clear "picture" of what was going on all the way down there. I suppose if there was any inside pitting I would have seen it, on the other hand.

I've got 6 other percussion double and one perc double rifle, all damascus barreled of course, and as I said, no pits on them except just a fine spatter on a barrel of one (Purdey 16 bore). As I said, I've taken a shine to this new one, so it's possible I'm being a little picky. Or else it's the fact that the pit(s) are in that "Danger Zone" (first 10 inches after the breech). Ooooh, scary.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a dandy...Please don't keep us in suspense, I for one would love to see some pictures and/or hear a little more about it.

Unless you have significantly deep pitting near the breeches, the only reason for concern is that it will take a little longer to clean at the end of the day.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve written about a Manton 9/10 gauge SXS muzzle loader I had several times now. Even though it was proofed 9/10 gauges, by the time I got it honing over the years had turned it into a 8.5/9 gauge. Because of the metal lose due to honing, I decided to shoot 12 gauge loads in it consisting of 3 drams BP and 1-1/8 ounces of shot. It was just fine with that light load (attached is a photo of the gun with a dead hen pheasant as proof). However, I feared what might happen in the field if I accidentally double loaded a barrel with 6 drams BP (which I did once by accident in a Pedersoli replica 12 gauge). I did a 6 dram and 1-1/8 ounce “America Proof” on each barrel and the gun held together just fine. I wouldn’t hesitate to “proof” it if I were you. However, it sounds to me like you have a shooter there.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You know, looking at the barrels a moment ago I think my mind cleared and I realized just what I am seeing.

The barrels are beautiful, both of them, all the way gorgeous. BUT, in this spot there are 3"pits", the middle one looking more like a chip, and there is a ring of silver around them all.

I believe the barrel was dented at one time and then pulled out and perhaps spot welded (?). It HAS to be evidence of a fix and not normal wear.

How does this sound to you all now? Anyone familiar with things like this?

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 02/16/15 12:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why can't you post a photo? Digital cameras are cheap and if you don't know how to post it contact me via PM and I'll post it for you or someone else here can do it.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll try get a picture of the worst one of mine for comparison but then again every guns different. You will only ever know if that particular gun is safe if you stick a good load in it and touch it off from a safe distance. The ring of silver is odd, has it been honed recently?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve - I've got a digital camera, but (a) I can't get an extreme close-up with it and (b) yes, I am illiterate about posting pics. I plan on getting a friend of mine who photographs a lot and has many digital cameras and lenses to take some pictures of this.

Demon - the gun has only been in my possession since Saturday and I didn't notice this "anomaly" until last night, so I don't know if it's been honed. The more I think about it the more I believe this area shows some kind of fix. I mean, Except for needing rebrowning in the lower half, these barrels are impeccable. Beautiful Westley Richards barrels, smooth and sleek....except for this ONE little area a couple inches from the breech. 3 "pits" each with a silver aura around them, the middle one looking more like a chip or divit , a shape that would definitely not result from decay.

EDIT 2: You can see pictures of this gun, but NOT of the area I'm concerned with, if you look up a post on the SALES forum on Nov 3, 2014 posted by Cable. From those pictures you can see more in his photobook. Check them out, I should have mentioned them earlier but wanted this sale to be removed from any trace.

EDIT: on the other side of the breech there are 3 or 4 deep cuts in the wood, probably from a bad fall(?). The barrels may have been damaged at the sam,e time, I don't know, just guessing.

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 02/16/15 01:27 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.