May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bret Adams, Jtplumb, canvasback, 1 invisible), 496 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,437
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

We have two Cabelas gun libraries here in MI-- A friend from our pheasant club sold Cabela's gun library Parker- a 1901 DHE with 30" Titanic steel barrels, the series before the tool steel wedge was pinned into the barrel lug- DT, EJ- redone by Turnbull- previous owner, before my friend bought it from him privately, removed the Skeleton steel buttplate, and had a 1" red solid pad installed at Turnbulls shop- first rate work- He had all the paperwork tied to this gun by serial number as well from Turnbulls-

Long story somewhat shorter, they bought this gun for under 4K, I looked at it 3 weeks ago- asking price in the GL is just shy of $8000.00- because, as the dude with the vest told me- "You won't find many Parkers in this original condition- His BS tale was- some widow had it, he late husband ordered it, and died before he ever got to use it- so it was ANIB--Right!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our local Cabella's has a literal 'Gun library' in their office, and they aren't afraid to consult the books when there is a question. I haven't seen anything wildly off-price, but then I don't always look all that carefully.

'One night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph I had an epiphany...'
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of years ago I went in to our local Cabelas and was looking at a Scott Excellentia 10 ga in great condition. Price was 3999.00 . A couple of weeks later I was back in and took it down again to look at it. The Fine Gun Manager came over and asked if I was really interested in it and I said yes, but not at this price. I said I would be interested at 1500.00 and he near fainted and said OMG,thats less than we paid for it !
A couple of days later he called and said "I will take 1500.00 for it". I have 2-3 things like that happen at Cabelas.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience with Cabelas is so , so. I will not buy a gun from them unless I can personally see and handle the firearm and I won't pay for out of state shipment. I have developed a relationship with the gun library managers. They know that I'm aware of true gun values and gun quality. I bought a good Ithica Flues in 20 ga for $400 which I feel was a good buy. But I have seen guns that were in not good condition that were out rageous in price. Just because it was an old Parker does not mean it is a good Parker, I don't believe Cabeles realize my last statement. As the old saying goes "let the buyer beware". I will say this for Cabeles, they give a good discount to veterans and if you watch their advertisements they offer 10% off on used guns as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And they stand behind what they sell. I purchased a 12g. BSS in South Dakota and when I got it home it doubled (single trigger). They arranged where to send it and paid for the repair. No arguing, no whining, they just did it. If they offer a gun at a fair price I would not hesitate to buy from them.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

The new Cabelas near me has a bunch of kids in the gun library doing appraisals. From day one, the staff there was vastly unqualified and management was rude to the employees I knew. I'm talking horrible, horrible behavior with zero respect for employees. I had a couple LC Smith's with issues. A 20ga with pitting in both bores and a 16ga with a crack behind the lock plates. I took them both in together just to see what they would offer. I received more from the Gun Library than I could sell the guns to a private individual here locally, and turned about a 40% profit on the combined value. What's a guy to do? Should I have asked if they saw the cracked stock or rough bores? I took their money and went whistling out the door.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jawjadawg
The new Cabelas near me has a bunch of kids in the gun library doing appraisals. From day one, the staff there was vastly unqualified and management was rude to the employees I knew. I'm talking horrible, horrible behavior with zero respect for employees. I had a couple LC Smith's with issues. A 20ga with pitting in both bores and a 16ga with a crack behind the lock plates. I took them both in together just to see what they would offer. I received more from the Gun Library than I could sell the guns to a private individual here locally, and turned about a 40% profit on the combined value. What's a guy to do? Should I have asked if they saw the cracked stock or rough bores? I took their money and went whistling out the door.
Dixie, I should hope, Suh!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

jawjadawg
Yes , I think you should have mentioned the faults in you guns.
Next time you see a wart on a Gun you buy, what will your conscience say to you?
I wouldn't buy a gun from you, that's for sure mate.
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Franc, I find your comment rather stupid and moronic. My conscience is fine. When you trade in a car at a dealership do you personally go around it with the salesman pointing out every little scratch in the paint, stain in the carpet, or tear in the seat just to be certain they know about every blemish? Do you take the wheels off so they can see how much brake pad is left? Do you point out the amount of tread left on the tires? No, you don't and the reason you don't is that the people at the car dealership are supposed to be the experts at their trade. They have the vehicle in their possession and it's their job to figure out the value. You might do some of the above with a private individual, but not the dealership.

In this situation, I handed the gun to someone who was supposed to be an expert, and who at a minimum absolutely has access to people who are experts. I know for a fact Cabelas has people who are a phone call away who serve the company for this very purpose. I didn't tell them how much I wanted for the guns. They took the guns in to their back room, examined them for 30 minutes, and took me in to the office with an offer. Furthermore, if you have ever actually been in a Cabelas gun library then you already know that Cabelas doesn't attach a piece of paper detailing the individual faults in their inventory, either. That's not how they do business with their customers. Fuggem.

When I list an item for sale on a website, I ALWAYS try to go overboard to accurately describe the item. It's a pain in the rear to buy something and then have to return it, if that's even an option, because the seller didn't accurately represent the item. You can't touch something on the internet. Different story when actually walk in to a gun store and hand the damn thing to a licensed dealer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with the Dog-man from my favorite State in Dixie- that being the peach-tree State FYI. I have been twice to the Dundee, MI Cabela's Store, the Gun Library specifically, within the last 3 years-Both times I looked at ejector 12 gauge side-by-side guns that, when tried with snap caps, didn't eject, but a push and a shove beyond extract- two that I remember that had malfunctioning safties, etc. Then the now closer one in Grandville- twice I took the Gun Dept. manager to the outside the library gun rack, and showed him a rather well-worn 12 gauge Winchester Model 11 auto-loader- aka- "The Widow Maker" priced fairly right, at $275.00 if you want to take yourself out of this world, a la Hemingway--I told him, and he agreed, that the store should remove this gun from any sale, write off the purchase price they paid the seller (est'd $150.oo tops)and have a local welding shop cut it up with a torch so that it can never fall into unknowing hands--afterwards I went back, son-of-a-gun, it was back on the rack for sale--But I learned my lesson about trying to be a "Good Doobie" it don't fly in today's world of retailing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.