May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (liverwort, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 271 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,625
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#392816 02/04/15 05:15 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Started work on a new stock gun today, a 12b RUL Hammergun by A Maloch of Stirling and found a very rare rebounding lock mechanism inside. Patented by Stanton 2 years after his commonly found patent, I have never seen an example of it before. The spring would be a nightmare to make so thank goodness everything is nice and shiny inside!

Plus it has a rare Loaded Indicator mechanism, very reminiscent of the Dickson round action's gold washed pins. The left pin on this has been broken but it should be easy to rebuild with a little TIG magic!

Lovely classic, early engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat. I can see why it wasn't used much.

Is there a little roller on the U-shaped piece?

Thanks for sharing.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at the spring you can see why this system did not catch on .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OWD: Yes, a neat little roller secured with a threaded pin.
The picture in the Baker/Crudgington book shows the bar action version of the mechanism: similar but the other way up.
Although I agree that the spring is a nightmare, I think he designed this to get round a common problem with converting back-action locks to rebounding: lack of room.
As you can see it doesn't rely on the 'passive arm' of the spring reaching the tumbler like the normal Stanton rebounding lock mechanism. This lock beautifully illustrates the problem of the sear spring being in the way.
I suspect that this gun is a conversion from non-rebounding as the normal Stanton patent is perfectly suited for a back-action lock providing it is designed around it. However, as soon as the sear spring has been fitted in the usual non-rebounding position it often makes a normal conversion much more difficult, involving blanking off the sear spring pin hole and refitting it in a different place.
In fact, I think that one could use the general idea with a normal non-rebound spring, fitting a roller instead of a swivel and adding a suitable shaped extension to the tumbler with a cam shaped to suit.
I must try it some time soon!
Sorry if that offends anyone!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Need is the mother of inventions and limited space along with the need to avoid other patents creates some amazing designs. While your example was difficult to make, with that spring system, no on can dispute it has passed the test of time. Anything that last a century without major repairs is a fine design in my books.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.