May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, AGS, kemaltunali, David Williamson), 346 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,517
Posts545,692
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#391121 01/20/15 10:59 AM
OBXEJC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a client who inherited his father's Ray Morgan left hand .22 single shot rifle with 24x Fecker, Eric Johnson 5 star barrel. He is trying to find out if Ray Morgan built these rifles specifically for individuals like his father or whether he produced the same rifle for everyone. I've been told by another person they have a the same rifle and scope but right handed. I would like to find any information on Ray Morgan and his rifles other than what can be googled. Thank you for any replies.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a pretty interesting rifle. Never heard of the maker, but I can see he had pretty strong ideas about what he wanted. I'm trying to figure out that comb though. Why 2-piece? It doesn't appear, from the photos that it is adjustable in and of itself. But maybe there is a second comb that would bolt on for shooting iron sights?

I love the color of that wood. Almost looks like rosewood to me. Maybe it is, but a nice rifle no matter what.

Brent

PS. That scope is worth a pretty penny by itself. Not many Feckers over 20x

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I'm trying to figure out that comb though. Why 2-piece? It doesn't appear, from the photos that it is adjustable in and of itself.
PS.

The comb is removable so you can get a cleaning rod in from the breech. A nice touch for rifles with very high combs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course... I'm simply not firing on all eight this morning.

Thanks.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had never heard of a Ray Morgan rifle until this was posted. There was a thread on the ASSRA Forum back in 2010. I found the following on the Cast Boolits Forum:

Ray Morgan was a Winchester engineer who figured he could design a better .22 rimfire mouse trap. Designed for smallbore prone during the golden years of competition after WWII the Morgan rifle has the flavor of both the Remington 37 and the Winchester 52. A cult item amoung smallbore prone shooters, owning and competing with one even to the day gives a shooter star status. These rifles are prized that much.

Morgan tried to make 100 actions, story goes that one batch got "burned" during heat treat so the number of Morgan rifles actually produced is obviously less than 100. There were stories years ago that 85 were actually produced but many of us have noticed that no serial numbers in the 60's or above have been seen. The actual number of known Morgan rifles is much less.

In the beginning Morgan worked with Karl Kenyon and Eric Johnson as well as Creighton Audette. Of course Johnson did the barrels and Kenyon did the triggers and many of the known examples have Audette stocks but some do not. Story goes Kenyon did the triggers for 15 Morgans and then withdrew citing that since Morgan was a hand made action and each one was a little different he had to reinvent his trigger for each action. Morgan made his own triggers after that.

Morgan rifles have won all levels of competition over the decades including the National Championship at Camp Perry. ::

That is the end of the info from the other forum. My guess as to time period would be either late 30s or postwar, extending into the 50s. With the comments about detail changes in the trigger as "production" progressed, the entire design would seem to be a work in progress.

Brent and I are serious smallbore shooters. Perhaps Terry Buffum can add something to this thread. I think I'll put a Ray Morgan rifle on my bucket list. Tuesday is smallbore day for me. Right now, I'm headed out the door with my Farrow. Thanks for a very interesting post.

Richard

Last edited by waterman; 01/20/15 12:42 PM.
OBXEJC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Brittany Man hit the nail on the head. It's not adjustable and the inside rail has a maker's name that started with J. but I couldn't read it because it was so small. I weighed the rifle and it came in at 14 1/2 pounds. The wood work and choice of wood is phenomenal. I would love to own a right handed version just like this one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like Creighton Audette's stock design. See page 280 of More Single Shot Rifles for Ballard with his stock. I have also seen Hauck action with this style of stock made by Creighton.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have nothing to add. I'd heard of the rifles, and stock does appear to be Audette's work. Nice piece, and I hope you will treasure it not only for the family connection but also its competitive excellence!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.