May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (FelixD), 104 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#390775 01/17/15 06:31 PM
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've just returned from a few days on Flinders Island, in Bass Strait, between mainland SE Ausralia and Tasmania with a small group chasing Cape Barren Geese.

Here's a few pics:

Typical of the countryside the geese graze, where we find whatever cover we can to wait in – ditches, thistles etc. The geese tend to fly low, so their flight paths are shaped by trees, landscape etc.

“Rockjaw” doing the rounds on the quadbike, off to stir some more birds up to drive over us.

A skein of geese about to come in low and hard over the thistles I was using for cover on one particular morning. Note the ti-tree scrub to the left: the geese will normally come around them, rather than gain elevation and go over.

In a drainage ditch across a paddock, Jim waits…

…for these geese, which landed just short into a stiff breeze, to graze their way into range (and then misses!)

Steve was right under this mob

My first goose for the trip and the gun and cartridges which brought it down: 1880 W&C Scott toplever hammer single 10g 2 7/8”, 3 ľ dr 2F pushing 1 3/8oz #2 or BB (same one I re-browned a year or two back). 10g guns and BP are few and far between here, so the boys enjoyed the novelty of hearing and seeing that distinctive, chesty boom and plume of smoke from a "big" gun!

Obligatory artfully arranged gun and goose detail…

For scale; gun has a 34” barrel

Patches of remnant ti-tree habitat provide shelter for peacocks…

[img]http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt146/cadet450/11_zps2ef862cf.jpg[/img]

…like this young cock bagged by Will; Jim took another; Tony a double.

I wish I'd managed a peacock; compounded by the fact that we were given some tips about when and how to find them, but broke early – but that’s a lesson learned for the next time.
I wish I'd put the gun down just once and took up the camera to get a photo of geese coming in low and hard, then flaring at 5-10m when I rose to take the shot.
Apart from that, it was a ripper of a trip.

cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hmm... not sure what's going on there...
Here's the peacock:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great photos, cadet. I always enjoy seeing other new and "strange" lands that can be hunted. Handsome goose and .................about the peacock, how do they taste? Thanks for posting.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto concerning Stan's comments. Nice looking goose and I've always wondered if peacocks were any good to eat?

Cameron Hughes
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excellent eating; quite a pale meat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. Maybe I will get the chance to try some someday. I just finished a plate of doves. Medium rare.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent! I didn't even know they were still legal game. Makes me want to plan a trip.... Hah!

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not really game per se; they were hunted almost to extinction once, but subsequent conservation programmes have been so successful that in some places they are a pest when they graze and foul pasture etc, so limited culling under permit is used to disperse and control them.
Planning a trip?! www.rockjawtours.com.au

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are parts of suburban Los Angeles (Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, San Marino, Pasadena) where peacocks are a nuisance. They are large, loud, messy, and aggressive, but the city governments don't let residents mess with them. There are wild peacocks roaming parts of the Imperial Valley near the Mexican border, but I don't know if they are legal to shoot. They are not listed in the regs as upland game.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I've heard their song and they sure as heck aren't "songbirds"!!! A tom turkey in heat sounds downright melodious compared....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.