April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (KDGJ, Hugh Lomas), 441 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,201
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it's worth, Owen 883 was also in inventory as a used rifle at Abercrombie & Fitch in 1939-40. No indication of the engraver though.

At that time it was offered at a price of $360 but it was not sold and was withdrawn by the consignor in early 1941.

Bob Beach
Griffin & Howe, Inc.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bob, much appreciated! I'm almost certain G&H sold it to my client about 2010. Wish it still had the case. The gold oval has two initials but it is packed.
(I grew up outside of Morristown, NJ where I found my love of history. Will you be at Vegas Bob? I'd enjoy meeting you.)

Sam I look forward to seeing you, it's been a few years. You can look as closely as you have time for. I did but couldn't find anything…
Time to pack now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, G&H did sell Owen 883 back about 2000. They may have sold it again after that but I don't have access to all their records here at home. I won't be at Vegas but be sure to run it past Paul Chapman. Paul has a phenomenal memory and will probably remember when it was sold and who purchased it. He should also have an opinion on the engraver. Best of luck with the rifle.

Bob Beach
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing that I have learned on the subject of pre-war sporters by any maker or engraver is that there are few if any hard and fast rules. I have observed and cannot remember an exception, not to say there aren't any, is that the engraving attributed to Kornbrath in a format similiar to this was rarely signed. Again, I cannot remember an example. Conversely if it included one of his game scenes, THE moose, or my favorite (and rare) the cowboys and cactus they have been signed. I cannot remember an exception to this either. Kornbrath did outsource and supervise engraver as well. I think the rifle build period is a critical predictor here. Enjoy some warm weather Steve.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Bob, and Gary I'll give Sam a shot at looking for hidden marks.
I'll be very curious to hear what Paul remembers...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somebody got a great rifle.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A fellow that knows, enjoys and appreciates vintage custom rifle. He identified it by the arrowhead from 30' away.
Some very knowledgable folks including Tony Galazan and Paul Chapman concurred with the likelihood of it being Kornbrath engraving.

BTW: I'll be meeting with David Bennetts and Frank Brownell today to discuses my seminar program.
It was a delight to see Terry Buffum looking trim and fit when he stopped by to pick-up his custom Lefever "Aunt Sarah" yesterday.

Morris Hallowell is displaying a 16 Ga. custom Fox I delivered about a decade ago. Wow, it sure is a treat to see them years later and be delightfully surprised at how fine a gun it really is!http://hallowellco.com/stephen_dodd_hughes%20fox.htm

Great Show here in Las Vegas; I've met a bunch of forum regulars…sold several high end guns and the books are flying off the tables!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.