May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R Reynolds, Hoot4570, eightbore, SKB, 1 invisible), 434 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,467
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#389759 01/08/15 01:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had been thinking about posting this question for a long time, holding off only because I was kind of embarrassed to ask, but when a prominent stockmaker asked me the same thing this morning, I decided it was time to take the plunge:

What is the reasoning behind using tapered wood screws in gunmaking? Any rotation from tight will leave no usable engagement in the wood. Thought perhaps some of our friends in the UK could enlighten. Thank you.

Craig Libhart

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at the wood screws used on the but pads of muzzle loaders, most i have are not tapered?

http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/making-screws.html

Interesting discussion here.

James.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Previous post deleted

Last edited by tudurgs; 01/08/15 05:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never been told the reason for this but I have worked out that it is about the way the screw starts in a virgin wood hole. If you try and screw a parallel pin into a unused hole of the right size it quickly becomes very stiff and needs working in and out several times before it can be safely screwed in all the way without possibly bruising the slot. If you use a tapered screw is starts easily and only gets stiff towards the end of its travel, where it needs to be. Granted that an old screw that has been disturbed a few times usually won't time correctly when tight.
The same problem applies when inserting a new parallel screw into an old threaded hole, they can be very stiff.
A little bit of wax to lube them usually helps or I sometimes cut the required thread with a 1st tap of the right thread. This gives a good start to the thread without cutting it all the way. In a way it duplicates the effect of a tapered screw, giving a nice clear thread to run in for the first 1/3 or 1/2 and a virgin hole beyond.
I have had tapered screws made up for very special jobs but generally I use parallel screws of 3/16 Whitworth and prepare the hole as above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
I have never been told the reason for this but I have worked out that it is about the way the screw starts in a virgin wood hole. If you try and screw a parallel pin into a unused hole of the right size it quickly becomes very stiff and needs working in and out several times before it can be safely screwed in all the way without possibly bruising the slot. If you use a tapered screw is starts easily and only gets stiff towards the end of its travel, where it needs to be. Granted that an old screw that has been disturbed a few times usually won't time correctly when tight.
The same problem applies when inserting a new parallel screw into an old threaded hole, they can be very stiff.
A little bit of wax to lube them usually helps or I sometimes cut the required thread with a 1st tap of the right thread. This gives a good start to the thread without cutting it all the way. In a way it duplicates the effect of a tapered screw, giving a nice clear thread to run in for the first 1/3 or 1/2 and a virgin hole beyond.
I have had tapered screws made up for very special jobs but generally I use parallel screws of 3/16 Whitworth and prepare the hole as above.
Are we talking about machine shop standards or sexual experiences. "Old threaded hole" makes me think about some of Ben Franklin's rather sage advice to the young and randy Colonials- what Ho!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Per Toby, wood isn't the best of materials for supporting threads. On the other hand, the screw thread remains poster child of fasteners. Therefore, the mechanic does whatever works for threads in wood. And when the wooden threads fail, we fill the hole with something that will support threads much better. Long live epoxy!!!

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original tapered screws are usually a stupid tpi as well, about 22-23, rather than the 24 tpi of the 3/16 Whit. I rarely find tapered screws with 24 tpi so the 22-23 must be some kind of standard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wood screws whether tapered or straight once they are "timed" have to go back into the same hole again. This pertains to butt plate screws and trigger guards that have two screws, and even some for-end screws on the inside iron.
You might get lucky if you don't put them back, but most times when you buy a used gun and they are not "timed" is because they were put in the wrong hole.
Once you try to "time" the wrong screw, now the correct one will be loose.

Most butt plate screws from vintage guns are straight.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Fox,
they are indeed talking about sex...nice on topic post...as usual, check yourself for any loose screws mate, lol
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd guess the furniture industry lead the way in screw design. Might have been thought of as a good trade off between head strength and thread surface area in a shallow hole. The design seems to work well with very quick, accurate and inexpensive hand pilot hole tools. Maybe, less chance of splitting thin inletted spots.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.