April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#389258 01/04/15 03:59 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anyone give me a model number for the pictured Arrieta. I just can't seem to make it fit any model exactly. Thanks for the help, Gerry Addison, esetter5@me.com

Gerry Addison
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a Model 578. Don't let the sideclips fool you, they're optional on all models.

I can see why it's somewhat confusing as the engraver spent a little more time on it, enhancing it with some 803-style flourishing, but the 5-pin locks give it away.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerry,

The engraving patterns suggests a model 550, or a model 578.

But ultimately the only way to know for sure what model it is would be to ask Arrieta. Arrieta, like just about all the makers, will put any engraving pattern the customer wants on any gun he is willing to pay for.

As far as using the number of visible pins in the locks to determine model, I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks :-)

But buy the gun rather than the name in any case. That makes model moot.

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like a 578. If it's a self opener it's an 803. Those are the 2 models that come with Purdey rose & scroll engraving. The engraving on the 803 is quite a bit deeper.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can tell by the forend iron. if it is fully engraved it is the 802, if it is sparsely engraved it is the 578.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie

As far as using the number of visible pins in the locks to determine model, I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks :-)

Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks, many of us would like to see them. Pics or simple links to them would be fine. Oh, by the way, make sure that those that you come up with aren't 803s or others, misidentified as 578s like this one:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Arrieta-578-Sidelock-Ejector-16-Bore.cfm?gun_id=100514688

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wild Skies

Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks, many of us would like to see them. Pics or simple links to them would be fine. Oh, by the way, make sure that those that you come up with aren't 803s or others, misidentified as 578s like this one:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Arrieta-578-Sidelock-Ejector-16-Bore.cfm?gun_id=100514688

If you're actually interested, and not just enjoying being argumentative, get off your butt and do you own research. Remember:

Google Images Is Our Friend.

Use the query string 'Arrieta 578 gun' and you will see any number of Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks. You can also see a page from an Arrieta catalog, showing a 578 with (gasp!) seven pin locks.

If you want to get a maker's attention about locks, forget H&H pattern locks and ask to have Purdey pattern locks on your gun. That will get them excited, and run up the cost of the gun by about 2,000 Euro.

Seriously. No one, other than the guys who don't like exposed pins in locks because it breaks up the engraving surface, care how may pins show on the outside of a H&H type of lock. Three pin, four pin, five pin, six pin, seven pin - it doesn't matter. They all work just as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're actually interested, and not just enjoying being argumentative, get off your butt and do you own research. Remember:

Google Images Is Our Friend.

Use the query string 'Arrieta 578 gun' and you will see any number of Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks. You can also see a page from an Arrieta catalog, showing a 578 with (gasp!) seven pin locks.

If you want to get a maker's attention about locks, forget H&H pattern locks and ask to have Purdey pattern locks on your gun. That will get them excited, and run up the cost of the gun by about 2,000 Euro.

Seriously. No one, other than the guys who don't like exposed pins in locks because it breaks up the engraving surface, care how may pins show on the outside of a H&H type of lock. Three pin, four pin, five pin, six pin, seven pin - it doesn't matter. They all work just as well.

Look Kyrie, it's understood that you're extremely sensitive and get uber defensive when someone challenges you. But not to worry, as you're among friends here! smile Hopefully you can get over that soon and we can get on with this discussion just like old pals . . . it was you that made the claim that "there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks". We're just looking for you to back that claim up. Yes, I saw the ~ 40 year old Arrieta catalog with an illustrator's rendition of a generic 7-pin sidelock with a superimposed image of an engraving pattern on it, but I'll be darned if Google could come up with a few pics of actual guns that have the typical 578 engraving pattern and 7-pin locks. Maybe your Google is different than my Google, so if you would be so kind to provide a few links that shows just how common these 7-pin 578s are we'd be grateful.
TIA,

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice try, but what you asked for was “Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks”:

#389368 - Today at 10:04 AM

Please show us a few of those Arrieta 578 guns with seven pin locks, many of us would like to see them.

Which you now admit I did:

#389431 - 40 minutes 52 seconds ago

Yes, I saw the ~ 40 year old Arrieta catalog with an illustrator's rendition of a generic 7-pin sidelock with a superimposed image of an engraving pattern on it, but I'll be darned if Google could come up with a few pics of actual guns that have the typical 578 engraving pattern and 7-pin locks.

So I know my “friend and pal” will understand why I’m not interested in his attempt to move the goal posts. The simple fact is you were , let’s say, less than accurate when you wrote that five pins locks “give it away” that a gun is a 578.

Live and learn, “friend and pal”. Or not. Your call.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forget it.

I knew you couldn't back up your claim.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.