Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been wondering, whether Webley & Scott (W. & C Scott, P. Webley) made their own locks for their sidelocks, or got them from the trade like all decent people?

Sidelock
Sidelock

They were the major supplier to the trade.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is an article on the locks of W & C Scott.

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2010/08/locks-on-w-c-scott-best-and-medium-grades/

Seems that Stanton made at least some of the locks on their best grade guns.

Regards - Ian Forrester
Sidelock
Sidelock

The locks on my great-great-grandfather's ca. 1872 P. Webley are stamped either "Stanton" or "Pat. 367" (Stanton's rebounding lock patent) on the inside - something like that. My presumption has been that they were made by Webley on license from Stanton, but I suppose they could have been outsourced.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I rather doubt any of the gun makers produced their own locks. At times I have suspected otherwise but it just doesn't make sense. The lock making trade was so highly specialized and there were a number of companies producing for the trade. However, I could never figure out how a lockmaker in Wolverhampton could fill and order for a shop in another town and have the hammers (strikers) fit perfectly, etc. there were just too many variations and each gun was basically a "one off piece". Well, I think I've found a hint that seems logical. James Dougall, in his 1865 book, "Shooting Simplified", indicates locks were supplied without hammers (strikers) and the lockplates were probably larger than finished blanks. The gunmaker would then file the plate to the desired shape and also workers would make the hammers (strikers). Here is an excerpt from his book that contains the hint:

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you very much.

Yes, Joe Wood, that really makes sence. Another hint proving that this is how trade worked can be found in Peter Hawker's books. One of the tricks of the trade he learned at Joe Manton's shop was that the gunmakers, in the flintlock times, never hardened hammers and frizzens. That caused the gun to start having dry fires after two or three seasons, neccessitating a visit to the gunmaker for repairs. This seems to indicate that it was the gunmakers who fitted and 'regulated' the strikers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lock makers made locks . Percussioner's fitted the hammers after the locks were fitted up into the stock and later into actions they also drilled and fitted strikers or fitted the hammers so they connected to the pre drilled striker holes . From what I was told many years ago Webley and Scott produced practically all of their guns components and had their own spring making shop so it is a reasonable assumption that they produced their own locks .

Sidelock
Sidelock

The older the Scott the better chance of it having marked locks made by a lock maker the later Scotts (1880's and up) I've owned and examined are unmarked and probably made in house.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.