April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (rtw, WJW, AGS, 1 invisible), 753 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I heard this question twice yesterday, and don't do Estates.
So, I turn to you experts who also exercise the insanity of reloading when it's probably cheaper to buy new.
I am in that group, having reloaded for almost 30 years, spending my time cussing, fussing, and enjoying the heck out of it.
("Sam; what wad do you use in Estate Hulls?")
Thanks Gents;
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sam, the only Federal shells I reloaded were some paper ones. I do know that they have a tapered inside and it is wise to use the right wad.
If you go to this site it will give you more than enough information.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=175673

David

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sam,
Depends on the shot load's weight & type [lead or non toxic], but the Estate hulls I'm familiar w/are all straight walled hulls, so the appropriate wads for best fit will be of that type, i.e., have a slightly larger dia. cup to closely fit the hull's inside diameter. That's the first factor, the second is getting the correct 'stack height' and that is generally achieved with a wad of a specific crush section length and the cup's construction. Long answer, but you asked.

Short answer is check the powder mfg.'s loading manuals; some list loads specifically for Estate hulls.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, Federal paper hulls are straight wall, no taper. Tapered hulls are compression formed, like early Winchester AA's and current Remington's like their STS & Gun Club rounds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Email hodgdon and alliant powder companies. They often have tested loads not listed on their websites.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used them for some modern steel loads w/RSI wads. Other than that, I chuck them. Had some powder migration issues w/conventional wads meant for tapered walls.

I supposed if you purchased some appropriate euro wads, they'd work fine.

IMHO, there's just too many perfectly good Rem. gun club hulls laying around to worry about estates/federal hulls.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great Federal wad clones from Claybuster and Downrange. Hulls are among my favorites. Use same load data as for Federal Game/Target or Federal Gold Metal.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 12/19/14 11:22 AM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Current Estates are made by Federal, the best bet is try a Federal clone.

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

tw, sorry about that.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with the Federal wads.

Some 'Estate' shells are simply rebranded Cheddite shells. They say 'made in France'.

They're good shells, and reloadable if you insist. New, unfired, Cheddite hulls are available and they are used as a loading component by those who want large interior volume hulls.

As far as 'published' loads, there are a great many published loads that are not worth a crap.

A straight wall hull requires the correct wad, made for a straight wall hull.

The Federal 12S0 makes a good one ounce load, the 12S1 for 1 1/8 oz.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.