March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gankai, Pat Gidley, Gerry Addison, Jtplumb), 791 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, GF1, you must have very high taste in guns and engraving. I will still disagree with your assessment. In fact, if you still have that crude Midas or any other crude Brownings, I will begrudgingly downgrade my collection and take them off of your hands at crude prices.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I've been looking at high grade guns for years and comparing the engraving of a Midas of other standard "high" grade Browning to a Purdey or other Brit best is unfair to the Browning as there is no comparison.And I've looked under magnification too.

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: No Dak Scotty
Wow, GF1, you must have very high taste in guns and engraving. I will still disagree with your assessment. In fact, if you still have that crude Midas or any other crude Brownings, I will begrudgingly downgrade my collection and take them off of your hands at crude prices.

Thanks for that handsome offer, but they went down the road when the prices began to dramatically outpace their intrinsic value (including a European B2G and B4 that I bought overseas many years ago).

I know it's cold and lonely up there, but you should get out more...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone have pics of these great Brit or Italian Best guns that make the classic Superposed look crude? Apparently I need to educate myself. And no lasers!!!

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Compare a field grade superposed to a Winchester 101 of the same time period and see what crude is.Browning apparently thought they had to cover the action with engraving, regardless of how well it was done, to compete.This was pointed out in the Gun Digest when they did a side by side comparison of the 2 guns when the 101 was introduced.I much prefer the toned down engraving that they put on the field grade superlite Brownings.It was well done and set off the gun nicely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RHD45, we're not talking Field Grade guns on this topic, we're talking about higher grade guns. Besides, the 101 is just an exterior copy of the Superposed, matching it virtually line for line in it's shape and form since 1963, or 33 years after the Superposed set the standard for American O/Us.

The late Don Zutz said in his fine book, The Double Shotgun, that..."the Diana grade may well have been the greatest bargain ever offered American shotgunners. Superbly engraved (italics is mine) and with checkering and wood to match, its fit and finish went unquestioned."

As I look through my Schwing book, and see the incredible engraving work of Master Liege engravers like Funken, Vranken, Watrin, etc, etc, I have to laugh at anyone that would callously call these masterpieces "Crude." That is simply a laughable position. Look at pages 110-111, 118, 146, or really the whole book.

Sure, a grade 1 is simple, but that's by design. I have toured Holland and Holland, Purdey, and the Browning Custom Shop, and the high end Browning engraving is, in my opinion, just as good and certainly not crude.

I am still waiting to see pictures of these Continental guns that make the finest Browning Superposed look Crude, and NOT done in Bulino or Bank Note style. I'm talking chisel and file.

Last edited by No Dak Scotty; 12/25/14 03:32 PM.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well,just look at the double signed Funken in this thread. Do you really think that can be called master engraving?I'm sure Funken would even agree that his best work is far beyond that particular engraving on that gun.Not every master engraver produced a master piece every time he engrave a gun. The Browning engravers were covering a gun according to grade to meet a certain retail price point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, that would be called a business, and it's how companies make money. Master engravers don't engrave for free. A Midas took more than 60 hours to engrave. That's why they sold for a certain price point. The mechanics of the gun are the same as the grade 1.

A grade 2 Pigeon is not a masterpiece...its a Grade 2. But it can be done by a Master, or at least signed by one, as was sometimes the case.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an FN gun engraved by Funken on both sides, the recoil pad is browning...not sure why?

Just sharing the pics of my gun,cannot comment on engraving as I am no expert.

Last edited by Oberndorf; 12/28/14 09:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A nice "crude" engraved Browning at Holt's:

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...4&saletype=

Gunwolf

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.