March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gunning Bird, SKB, Travis S, 2 invisible), 333 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#386192 12/04/14 02:11 PM
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All:

I am at the stage where I must deceide wether or not to put an ebony tip on my Springfield Sporter stock.

I am going after the look of a clean classic bolt action sporter from the past. At times, the look of an ebony tip seems to distract my eyes from following the lines of the stock. It can cause my eyes to stop following the stock lines in an unbroken and flowing view of the gun.

It seems that the ebony tip is a requirement to have the look of the classic rifle. A plain tip can also look very nice and is less work to complete pluis it seems to blend in with the stock better. I am using a highly figured piece of walnut and the tip may compete with the wood's grain pattern for attention. One must know when to stop!

What say you?

Tia,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two pre-1950 Model 70 Winchesters Super Grade with the ebony tips- and a 1937 G&H Custom (Mauser 98 action) w/0 that ebony tip- and with a piece of Bastogne walnut and 22 LPI checkering that would make a Nun give up her vows-- IMO, and I am from the late "Cactus Jack" O'Conner school on rifles- I would rather have good rust blue and a outstanding piece of walnut well checkered over fancy inlays or engraving on any of my "bespoken" big-game rifles.. Jack said it right- that is a classic- no matter if: R.G. Owen, G&H, Tom Shellhammer, Paul Wunderhammer or August and/or Frank Pachmayer were the creators-Winslow, post German Sauer made Weatherby's- ugh- as garish as a pimp in an expensive whorehouse in New Orleans--

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/04/14 02:43 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi RWTF:

Well you did not help me at all! Lol

If you are old enough to remember Winslow stocks then you may be able to recall a chap by the name of Anthony Guyman. Now there were some really to me at least, distastefull stocks. I think that he was going after the roccoco (sp?)look.

The 50's were clogged with overstatements such as grotesque inlays. There were other stockers of that period that were also to be blamed for poor taste. My buddy bought a M 70 wWinchester that had inlays all over a factory stock. He thought that it was far out in those days. A custom stock!

Being a dyslexic, I typed your name as Fox With The Runs once. Lol

Stay well,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like an ebony tip. I also like a nicely proportioned schnabel. Depends on the style of the rest of the stock, and the eye of the beholder. I doubt anybody would fault you for putting an ebony tip on said fancy grained stock, and most would agree that it fills the bill for that American "classic" look. I like the schnabel when executing a dainty Euro-style stock with a relatively short fore arm. One thing I don't like is a schnabel shape executed in the ebony tip.

Funny how aesthetic standards develop, and how people meld them into their psyches. I betcha if Townsend Whelen, et al, had insisted on naked women figureheads on fore arms a hundred years ago our definition of classic stocks might well be different today.

Now if you really want to jazz things up, there's always the white line spacer...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think for a classic look, an ebony tip is less of a distraction than overly figured wood. I personally like to see relatively straight grain through critical areas like the wrist rather than just curl. I think the good classic rifle smiths would not tend to have too much grain that ran out of alignment with the basic shape of the stock. After that, an ebony tip could be just the right touch for some rifles.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.