April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 279 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am in the market for an electronic clays thrower and would like to hear any advice you could give me. I need something that can be when shooting alone or with someone else.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cheapest and easiest is the mechanical Trius one-step. About a hundred bucks and lasts for years.

Of the electric ones, I think I like the Promatic best. They're made in the UK but available here.

The Do-All Outdoors trap is cheap, made in China and overall sort of crappy. I have used one for years and keep needing to rebuild it. I think the company may no longer sell them so it might be moot.

It is worth getting a wireless remote - you can easily make one if the machine has a remote foot pedal or push-button.

A wobble attachment is very cool but adds significant height to the trap which may make it difficult to get into a van.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is a Promatic which I mounted on a dolly for ease of transport. Have a wireless remote with sort of a unique setup. The transmitter hooks onto my belt, I then took the foot pedal and made a sling for it to put over my shoulder and it lays against my right side and at the level of my elbow. Holding the gun at the ready position I merely tap the pedal with my elbow and the Clay is released and I am ready for it. Being free of any connecting wires I am able to walk around the trap and have both hands free. Works like a charm. Sorry, no pictures are available at this time.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a Do All Aerial Assault 3.0 I think two years ago and have been real happy with it. Also got the wireless remote. I bought it because it was cheap and offered the highest velocity I could find. After about maybe 200 targets, and then again after around 1,500 targets, I had to do some minor adjustments, but since then it's been fine. With the spring cranked down it will flat sling them out there. It isn't comparable to a commercial model, but then it didn't cost like one either. I have less than $400 in it including the battery from Wally World. Stays in the yard wagon hooked up to the charger and all I have to do is take the clips off the battery and drop the tongue on the yard tractor and off I go. No too much trouble to put it in the truck to take it somewhere either.

Last edited by Virginian; 11/23/14 03:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

While we are on the subject, I have found that a portable car battery charger holds enough power to throw a case or so of clays and is so much handier than packing a marine battery or whatever. Bought mine at Walmart.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Atlas 250 with the wobble attachment. I have a wireless release also. Made in the USA and the service is great. Durable well built machine that throws a consistent target.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bought a Do-All Red Pigeon at Cabela's. Once I got the bugs ironed out I'm very happy with it for the price. The wobble attachment is kinda pricy (about what paid for the trap) but I think I'm gonna have to spring for it. The foot switch works fine and can be extended with a common outdoor extension cord; can't see ever needing the remote release. My only complaint is that you need two traps to throw doubles.

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 11/23/14 10:45 PM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No electriz's involved here, but an old time 'stick bird' thrower is hard to beat for tough. It does, however, require someone to operate it.

In simplest terms, it is a plastic clay target thrower attached to the end of a billiard que. In a more formal iteration, it might be a Kevlar salt water rod blank w/a now antique Remington hand thrower attached. Either works. Bird's thrown from such devises can reach incredible speed even when launched a few inches off the ground. Its great practice for drivers in the ring.

Perhaps not so much for birds behind dogs.

On the plus side, if you get the right 'thrower', you can swap roles and continue to have good fun or just get a young guy who understands the nature of the game & do a geezer gathering. Ha!

Wots not to enjoy?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that the toughest clay birds I've attempted (:))to shoot were thrown from the heinous device described by tw! If you have someone that has perfected the technique, the speed of the target is down right humiliating! A previous shooting buddy (long arms and about 6'6" tall) could make them sing!!!!!!!!!!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just thought that I would add an extremely popular form of clay launcher though only for a short time here about’s it was named the “whirly Bird” and extremely simple to make and the clays launched where extremely difficult to hit.
Its popularity was short lived so I do not think these launches where commercially made, because all it consisted of was an Automobile engine starter motor with a couple of trays to hold one or two clay targets the appropriate battery and a switch. In use after the contraptions victim shouted “PULL” the battery was switched on to the motor which began to spin until the centrifugal force threw out the target or targets. So you the shooter had no idea when where or what direction your target or targets would appear from it was very popular for raising club funds and that typical Brit social event the summer fete. As for myself my scores where always pathetic and I never improved, though I would like to see one of these shot gunners ego deflators in use once more.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.